Happy? Birthday

Doug G
MMC Member

Happy? Birthday

Post by Doug G »

To celebrate an entire year that my Mini Moke have been off the road 'under repair'.

Problem : The gear kept slipping out of second and the clutch felt like it was slipping.

In this time the Earth has managed to travel some 580,000,000 miles in it's orbit around the sun.

In all that time, distance and speed, sadly the mechanics here have been unable to sort out the problem.

The latest is :

'Oh the there is a clanging noise from in the engine."
Now finally (after I glean advice from various forums):

The following is discovered.
The remains of the bolt and locking washer. Apparently one or more 'mechanic(s)' tightened it with a hammer and a chisel.
be95c8c0-6176-4cc0-9032-db4b8d413927.jpg
aefaf20a-7722-4407-b3f6-d88c192d1cd5.jpg
c28320d0-1fcb-4463-a086-949d27acad88.jpg
852da936-bf71-43b5-8924-23655265a86d.jpg
"Oh it needs two new CV joints."

"Oh it needs an engine top mount, and an engine bottom mount and a transmission mount."

Please note that these parts are requested one at a time several months apart.

Yet people criticise me for critiquing these 'mechanics'.

Some friends say I should do it all myself.
Yeah right.
If I were to follow that advice fully, I should therefore study medicine, become a doctor then a surgeon and then operate on my self for an inflamed appendix, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Doug G on Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Happy? Birthday

Post by Doug G »

Please don't laugh. :cry:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Not laughing Doug….just shaking my head at the competence of the “mechanics”. It looks like you have to stand behind them all the time the mokes being worked on monitoring their actions.
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

The A series Mini Moke engine is one of the simplest engines to work on . . . . . apart from the requirement of space and small hands, and I have large hands.

It seems that I have to stand there and ask them to explain why they are doing each operation. :oops:

Yes, I have watched numerous and various YouTube clips and visited forums on various Mini Moke issues.

I am beginning to suspect that they haven't a clue and/or swap parts for friends(I hope I am totally wrong).
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

I now ask for a quotation before each operation, after one chap charged me (after the fact) about £300.00 to remove and replace the engine so another chap could replace the tie rods. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Tim

Post by Tim »

Oh for goodness sake Doug stop complaining and learn to do it yourself!

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Point acknowledged. I have taken to researching on how to do it, and other things, by looking at some very informative YouTube vids.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I feel the problem could be that when Tim and I were in our learning years a trip down the local scrapyard would provide plenty of cheap things to practice on, also the local small ads would be a source of a seemingly infinite supply of shed like minis to do likewise with. Those days are long gone….just try looking for anything that remotely resembles an A series engine on fleabay and you’ll feel the life draining form your wallet.
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Sure, but I know from experience that when you live in an isolated backwater, not all of the services that are available in bigger populaces are available. It means that you tend to have to be able to do some of the stuff yourself, or pay stupid money to send it somewhere else to be done.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug, pulling an engine out isn't anywhere near as scary as you would think. One of the trickiest bits is the driveshaft couplings, but yours should have the universal joint style and they are the easiest. The rest is just about being systematic. Its worth investing in some lifting gear, either an endless chain or an engine crane.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:14 Oh for goodness sake Doug stop complaining and learn to do it yourself!

Tim
I may very well have to do that.

Howeverwhaat worries me is that if I need an appendectomy why should I have to do it myself, where do you draw the line?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Look at it this way.

The moke isn’t working so you can’t go nowhere in it. If you hoist the engine out it won’t go anywhere
If you get your local “mechanics” to work on it it goes nowhere and costs you for labour (and spurious parts claims)
If you do the work it goes nowhere and costs you nothing in labour (and no spurious parts claims)
If local “mechanics” work on it you rely on their say so as to what it needs
If you work on it you rely on your intelligence as to what it needs
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I would happily pop over and give you a hand (that’s to say, stand over you and point at what to do :wink: ) but at this time of year I’m just getting too event rich and cash poor. Plus there’s the problem of what gear I’d need to bring and whether the plane could bear the weight of the tools !
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug G wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 16:12
I may very well have to do that.

Howeverwhaat worries me is that if I need an appendectomy why should I have to do it myself, where do you draw the line?
I know what you mean, and it really depends where your interests lie. Taking the appendectomy example, if you had a strong interest in human anatomy and a background in diy you might decide to build up a collection of basic surgical instruments and watch a load of Youtube videos. Then maybe start with a small job (say just suturing wounds) and work your way up to a full blown appendectomy.

I appreciate that its probably extremely daunting, but you live in a small community in an isolated location, so maybe, like the legendary Antarctic Doctor, Leonid Rogozov, you may have to knuckle down and pick up a scalpel...or 1/2 inch spanner.

Tim

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”