64moke

Re: HOW LONG

Post by 64moke »

Flybe have plenty of planes going spare :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Can you imagine circling an airport for four weeks because someone doesn’t know which date format to use :roll:
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

The end may be in sight:

To:
  • Remove clutch slave cylinder to gain access to clutch cover
    Remove and reinstall starter
    Remove cover, disc and pressure plate to replace flywheel nut
    Remove radiator to replace front lower motor mount [is this necessary to do that?]
    Remove and replace thermostat housing. [Could just have undone radiator hose. There was no leak at thermostat]
    Tap threads into cylinder head to accommodate thermostat housing.[Could just have undone radiator hose. There was no leak at thermostat]
    Replace top front motor mount
    Remove lower right brake line to gain access to rear motor mount [is this necessary to do that?]
    Replace bottom rear motor mount
    Remove complete hub assembly on tight and left side of suspension to replace both axles [Hope originals are returned]

Replace both top and bottom ball joints on both sides
    Remove tie rod ends install new rack and pinion boots
    Remove and replace faulty ignition switch [ was working when handed over]
    Remove and replace faulty ignition coil [ was working when handed over]
    Remove and replace electric ignition module [ was working when handed over]
    Remove valve cover and adjust valves [ was working when handed over who screwed them up?]
    Replace valve cover
    Replace valve cover gasket
    Bleed brake and clutch

Total cost of labour £1,150.30

Does that sound reasonable?

BTW all I wanted was to fix the slipping clutch which was replace the flywheel nut!
Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Hand over of the beer tokens and taking receipt of the Mini Moke is Monday.

Which 'Monday'? T

hat is an entirely different question. :lol:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

IF they were working on the clutch the engine mounting on that side would have to be undone to get the clutch housing cover off. That being so the engine would need to be supported/lifted. That being the case the mounting on the radiator side could be removed at that point, so there’s no need to remove the rad.
But each to his own way of doing things…..or it’s a way of adding “value” to the job! The thermostat housing…….reads like you’re paying them to fix their cock up.
The brake line. Well that should run through the side bins, which means it’s nowhere near any engine mountings, much less a non existent “rear engine mounting”
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Latest:

Oh the solenoid is now not working.

Oh he has to check if it is a three of four connection type.

QUESTION: a 1973 Australian model Mini Moke with a 998cc engine, what is the correct type of solenoid?

I need to the Mini Moke out of this chaps hands before it needs more things and it becomes a permanent life long operation to replace everything. :oops: :shock: :oops:

PS I think he screwed something up as he told my son (the intermediary) that he will pay for it. So how does one destroy a solenoid for a Mini Moke? :roll:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

PS Oh it now needs an inline fuel filter.

Seems he has had the Mini Moke for so long that the fuel has 'gummed up' the fuel filter. SMH
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

For your moke, I would say look in the mini shops and go for the most basic (cheapest) one it won’t be anything fancy

If it means getting it out of the cowboys hands a starter solenoid isn’t a necessity, more a luxury which saves having to bump start it or putting a hefty piece of metal (spanner) across the terminals to get you on your way.
Get the moke out of there, order a solenoid and fit it yourself…..it’s a couple of screws and swap the wires over. Honestly it’s so simple even a Caribbean mechanic could do it
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Latest update :
  • Oh, better make it two inline fuel filters.

• Oh and get an electric fuel pump.

I think that my patience is wearing thin.
:cry:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:14 For your moke, I would say look in the mini shops and go for the most basic (cheapest) one it won’t be anything fancy

If it means getting it out of the cowboys hands a starter solenoid isn’t a necessity, more a luxury which saves having to bump start it or putting a hefty piece of metal (spanner) across the terminals to get you on your way.
Get the moke out of there, order a solenoid and fit it yourself…..it’s a couple of screws and swap the wires over. Honestly it’s so simple even a Caribbean mechanic could do it
Haha hahah ha haha hahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

My Mini Moke has a 998cc 4 cylinder engine which one of the simplest engines

Fault to be remedied : The Mini Moke was having difficulty going into first gear, or any gear.

This 'mechanic' said he could fix it. Give him his due, he had rewired the Mini Moke relatively quickly and things seems to work.

So OK lets do it.

In the last seven(7) months he has replaced :

Clutch Slave Cylinder - pre verto type - Quantity 1

GEG401Cork Rocker Cover Gasket - Quantity 1

Top Engine Steady Polyurethane Bush kit - Black - Quantity 2

Ball Joint Kit - 1959-2001 - Quantity 2

Standard Tie Rod inc bushes each - Quantity 2

CV Joint Outer Quantity two(2)

Engine Mounting Mini 1959-01 Quantity two(2)

A bottom engine mount Quantity (1)

A transmission mount Quantity (1)

The carburettor has been 'repaired'. Leaking fuel. Was not leaking fuel when he received it.

A new electric fuel pump has been put in.

Among a couple other things.

These were not requested although 'he said' they needed doing.

After saying that the Mini Moke was ready to be returned to me today, after some seven(7) months, this morning he announces that he finds that 'the Mini Moke is having difficulty going into first gear, or any gear.'

PLEASE SEE SECOND LINE OF THIS THREAD for fault to be remedied. :oops:

I have had three individuals bring out the parts (by air) requested by him and even had one set of parts shipped by FedEx.

His bill is US$1,390.00, but on a voice mail today says give him half.

The very thing that was supposed to be addressed is still not done. :oops: :oops: :oops: 🤬🤬🤬

And he is now proposing (in a voice mail) that the entire clutch now be replaced. The Clutch is virtually brand new with less than 100 miles it. :shock: :roll: :shock:

This morning after having the Mini Moke for seven(7) bl00dy months I have instructed through my son that a chap collect and tow vehicle and thereby get it out of this individual's possession.

Any other (LEGAL) suggestions that I should do?

Return to “Project "M"”