I.D. Plate

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Eamonn F

I.D. Plate

Post by Eamonn F »

My 1981 Australian Moke came to Ireland via Jersey in 1994. There is no I.D. Plate on the bulkhead.

I spoke to the previous owner & he said that there never was an I.D. Plate fitted. Is it possible that the plate was removed when the Moke was exported from Australia?

I want to import the Moke into Spain & they want to see the I.D. Plate. Is it possible to have a new plate made & does anyone know where I could get one made.

Thanks, Eamonn
Shaun78

Re: I.D. Plate

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi,I asked the same question a while back on the Australian forum,if I remember correctly they said that a vin plate was only fitted briefly,the main thing was the compliance plate which may have been removed before export,they also said that any moke that was exported and never registered in Australia wouldn't of had a compliance plate.but like you I wanted a leyland Australia vin plate for my moke and they pointed me in the direction of mini sport in Australia who have replica plates that can be stamped with the vin number,but it is not the compliance plate that some aussie moke may still have.hope this helps.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi. My 1981 Aussie Moke has the VIN number stamped into the Top Panel just in front of the radiator. Found it after removing copious layers of paint. Hope this helps.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Hi,
As Graham mentioned above, an 81 Moke would have the ID number stamped into the top of the radiator shroud. This is often hard to see due to rust or any repainting that may have occurred in the last 40 years. There are no other stampings or plates unless the Moke was ever registered for use in Australia. Then it would have an alloy compliance plate fitted which also showed the ID number.
Dean
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Thanks for all the replies.

I do have a VIN No. stamped into the radiator shroud & I can decipher the details using the Moke Club book "Moke - The History". I though that it should have a riveted plate also like the ones on page 213 & 215.

Thanks again,
Eamonn.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

OK, I think I see the problem, I am looking at a compliance plate & not a VIN plate.

I'll see how I get on with the Gestor (Import Agent). They say the Moke doesn't appear on their system. I'll have to push them as I know of several Portuguese Mokes on the Costa del Sol & Sotogrande.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know how I get on.

Eamonn.

Return to “Moke Talk”