su carb californian

bevsimmons

su carb californian

Post by bevsimmons »

Hi the wife's Californian is using more fuel than a Mustang! Plugs black tail pipe black and running ridiculously rich. Adjustment by local mechanic reveals a more serious fix. First query can anyone confirm the correct SU carb for 1981 Moke Californian 1981.I know there should be a tag on the carb with the part number but it is missing. Not sure to go down the new carb route-very expensive circa £500 rebuild kit £90 plus labour or recon at Burlen £250 -preferred option but 12 week wait so will miss most of the summer. Any suggestions welcomed
Don simmons
Willie_B

Re: su carb californian

Post by Willie_B »

What carb do you have on there now? HS or HIF? The HIF carbs have an "O" ring on the choke/cold start shaft that when it goes it runs WAY rich.
Live Laugh Moke
Tim

Post by Tim »

It would have had an HS4 carb originally. They can be reconditioned quite happily, but if you are going down the replacement route the later HIF38, or possibly HIF44 are a much better carburettor. The HS4 has a 1 1/2" in bore. The HIF38 is the metric equivalent with a 38mm bore.

The HIF38 has 4 mounting studs whereas the HS4 only has 2, but they should bolt straight on to a standard inlet manifold, just using two of the holes. If you want to go to an HIF44, its best to replace the manifold with an aftermarket one, to suit the larger diameter throat.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
bevsimmons

Post by bevsimmons »

Thanks Willie carb is HS4 (2 holes mounting) so unfortunately not the O ring.
Thanks Tim as above not an HIF but car does have a Mini Spares after market manifold with 4 mounting holes so could fit HIF carb if I go down the replacement route which I am loathe to do.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Don. I just reconditioned the SU on my Aussie, and then got it on a rolling road. Another good Mod would be an Electronic module in the
distributor, which will also help.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

bevsimmons wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 14:43 ...car does have a Mini Spares after market manifold with 4 mounting holes so could fit HIF carb if I go down the replacement route which I am loathe to do.
If you can get away with reconditioning the existing HS4, just keep it, but I'd definitely recommend switching to an HIF if you need to replace the existing carb with a new one. They are a better carb and once fitted and with the standard air filter box over the top of them they look almost the same as an HS4.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
bevsimmons

Post by bevsimmons »

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. Fitted a new needle valve in the float chamber ( Moss technical on line said worn one could cause it to run rich) and at a £10 was worth a shot! Car runs ok but plugs still black after a 5mile run (having cleaned them first) Put 3 gallons in and will now monitor the mileage but in view of the black plugs am not optimistic. Have the opportunity to buy a second hand carb from a 1275 GT are they the same? Also when I spoke to Burlen on 2 separate calls got quoted 2 different part numbers as being correct for the car. Can anyone confirm the correct HS4 variant for the Californian. many thanks wife is driving it but worried it will run out of petrol and leave her stranded! (fuel gauge wildly inaccurate)
Don
Tim

Post by Tim »

All HS4s are essentially the same, it doesn't really matter which one you use, the main thing is to get the needle and spring correct to suit the engine.

Tim
bevsimmons

Post by bevsimmons »

Thanks Tim
bought a second hand one from the guy who breaks Minis (see light switch post) visually identical to mine and he fitted the jet and needle from the 1275. At £50 worth a go and if I have to refurb the old one will still be able to drive the Moke . Thanks again For the in put.

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”