SU float ? problem

pbraun

SU float ? problem

Post by pbraun »

I have a gas leak. Gas comes out of the overflow hole on the top of the float chamber. I have tried making the float super low, no good, I have tried two different tops to no avail. I am now wondering if I have too much fuel pressure as I have a new pump.
Any ideas>
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: SU float ? problem

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Are you sure you haven’t got a bit of grit, or similar, stuck in the float needle housing? Take the top off the float chamber and push the pivot pin out, you can then remove the float needle, clean the hole and for good measure fit a new needle.

It’s worked for me in the past, it’s the commonest reason for petrol (sorry, gas!!) coming out of the overflow.
Come on summer
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Well, I have gotten rid of all the grit from a low tank, fresh gas, new gas filter and new needle valve with a vibram tip, all good tried two different floats and float bowl tops - no difference, still a leak from the vent hole.
I think I will now test the pressure in the fuel line, expect to find it above 4 - will see and report back here in a while as I need to find a gauge.
Thanks,
Peter
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Its quite hard to find a fuel pump that has low enough pressure. Pretty much every larger car, and all modern vehicles need more pressure than the poor little float needle can hold back.
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

What’s wrong with the standard mechanical pump?
Come on summer

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”