rear wheel bearings

moking joe

rear wheel bearings

Post by moking joe »

Right or wrong I have fitted new bearings to the rear of my 1981 model. The supplier assures me that there was a change from tapered bearings with the central spacer, to these races with the side extension , thus avoiding the requirement for the spacer. They fitted ok but I am now having second thoughts, can someone reassure me that these are ok!

Many thanks.

David
purple

Post by purple »

I have been fitting these bearings to my minis for many years now its 1 less piece to worry about.
Denzil
Tim

Post by Tim »

I like the new ones with the shoulders more than the old ones, the wider inner race is usually a tighter fit on the axle, if the axle has any wear in it from previous bearings having run.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I've never had to replace any rear wheel bearings ! Is it me who's a careful driver or am I just deaf ???
Tim

Post by Tim »

Probably just lucky. The same thing can be said for the front bearings (with drum brakes). They also have a wider inner race than outer now, and surely you've had to change them? I reckon they're a weak point in the design, they just don't cope with 13" wheels.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:Probably just lucky. The same thing can be said for the front bearings (with drum brakes). They also have a wider inner race than outer now, and surely you've had to change them? I reckon they're a weak point in the design, they just don't cope with 13" wheels. Tim
Now you tell me. :?
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Don't worry Doug, in a few months you'll be asking "How do I fit disk brakes?" and when you do that you'll replace the plain roller bearings with tapered rollers, and they're fine

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

2004 it was - I'd just driven to Italy and back, and by the time I got home the front bearings were sounding a bit crunchy! That said I have snapped a driveshaft, destroyed a CV (on full lock and full throttle and mashed up the primary gear since .... Thank goodness for the RAC :)

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”