Moke 1380cc

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

Moke 1380cc

Post by Doug G »

How do you have a 1380cc engine in your Moke?

Did you put it in or did you buy the Moke with it in?
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You get a 1275 block then bore it out to within an inch of its life, fancy crank and some other bits of go faster trickery - and there you go :!: :!: :!:
Moke1380cc

Post by Moke1380cc »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:You get a 1275 block then bore it out to within an inch of its life, fancy crank and some other bits of go faster trickery - and there you go :!: :!: :!:
Yep . :wink:
I had to offset the bores as well ,it was about a 1310 before the overhaul . Had to have a lot of stuffing around ,Electronic ignition to get the timing right due to the size of the cam ( Honda ) and the list goes on . Do one thing and you have to do the whole thing right or it will not work . Blew a head gasket on the Dyno and had to put a coper one in . Had a stock clutch but after going through 2 of them I had to put a Competition one in ...
I didn't do all the work :wink: I had it done for me , Total bill by the time I was finished went over the $10.000 red]aus[/color] Mark .
The list goes on but I will leave it as that :lol: The question is "would i do it again " NO :cry: :lol:
Darryl
Moke 1380cc
Moke1380cc

Post by Moke1380cc »

Darryl
Moke 1380cc
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

That engine spec makes me almost glad to live in England - every issue of miniworld seems to have engine builders falling over themselves to sell you motors like that.
And they're a sight cheaper :P
Tim

Post by Tim »

You should see what we pay for a 1275 engine in the first place. They're pretty rare here and the ones coming in from the UK are often in pretty average condition, but they sell for so much.

The 1310 in my moke was salvaged from an old Morris 1100S. It sat with its cylinders full of water for three years and had to be sleeved to make it go again. It was still cheaper to do that than to try to get another block.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Although they're common over here (just look on ebay) I'm still reluctant to go the 1380 route, mainly 'cos the first time somthing goes wrong the block is scrap and you have to start from scratch.
Oh -and by the way I gave away an MG 1300 engine when we were moving house ..... couldn't be bothered to move it !
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Oh -and by the way I gave away an MG 1300 engine when we were moving house ..... couldn't be bothered to move it !
And you couldn't have brought it over to me in your hand luggage last year? How cruel you can be!
Dean (Gutless 998.....but I'm not bitter).

Return to “Moke Talk”