Rare Australian Moke?

The place for eBay Moke alerts/comments/moans and laughs
carrie

Rare Australian Moke?

Post by carrie »

This is an interesting one...... 330142346893
Tim

Post by Tim »

That mob have been pushing that "only 476 ever made" line for ages. They read it in the article that Mark Paget wrote http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm ... keausf.htm

What it says is that at least 476 EXPORT mokes were made. Maybe P&L think that because it has been exported, it must be an export model. Its not, its an ordinary one, with a curious chunk of angle iron welded around it (whats that hiding?).

Whats an export Moke? Quoting Terry Pollard's Mokewerx site:
"Export Moke '71 to '73
Originally intended to be sold in the USA, the side fuel tank was removed and a Sprite fuel tank was mounted under the rear tray, between the subframe. The front and rear guards were made a bit heavier and taller to accommodate some side indicator lights and a 1275 was fitted with the standard drum brakes. This was the original Californian and came with the infamous Floral print hood and seats as I believe did standard Mokes of the era."

Here is a link to the export Moke that my local Ambulance service uses.
http://www.moke.com.au/Joomla/index.php ... Itemid=112

Tim
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

The Moke special issue of the "Mini Experience" magazine suggested that at least 703 Exports were built.
They can't be all that rare, they come up on eBay often.
Dean
carrie

Post by carrie »

The side panels just do not look right, perhaps is the camo that is making it look weird, but it looks like it has a lip around it.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah it has angle iron all the way round and the rear bumper seems to be joined to it. It also has a sill or running board along the lower edge, which is a popular mod amongst the Victorian Moke Club in Australia, they seem to think it looks better. The fake Chinese Moke has it too, but I think thats to try to put some strength into them.

Tim
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi,

Regarding the comment on the number of export Mokes, The total number of Export Mokes, ie the highest serial number I have found on a build plate for the Australian Moke Register, suggests there were at least 811 Exports made, with the most recent find being 4/73.

More specifically the order for the Export Mokes was supposedly for the Virgin Islands, but them I have been told they were destined for South Africa too :-)

Another anomoloy in the Australian Export Moke, is that over the life of production Australian Mokes were exported to 62 countries, so to call just one model an Export Moke is perhaps a little wrong :-)

Terry

Return to “eBay”