the real value of mokes

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
alicat

the real value of mokes

Post by alicat »

Hi,

A tricky question for fellow mokers.
I am wanting to raise the value that I have insured on my "darling" moke.
And my emotive enjoyment obviously and nearly 13 year attachment are starting to get in the way of a reasonable value to neg. with my insurer.

I have seen astronomical prices on ebay, and some wonderful recond mokes are certainly worth some of the prices I have seen. Others I just shake my head!!! But looking in some motoring guides the prices are way down.

I am NEVER going to sell my moke, I may buy another car with doors during my lifetime, but she will be with me until they take away my license. Here in tas, I think I would be very hard pressed to replace her with my sum agreed. Numerous times in the past, as the majority of mokers experience, I have been given offers, but I dont take any notice because she is not for sale.

She is in average condition, and I am madly saving for a major strip down, respray and rebuild, and as a result have been hoarding numerous parts away for the big day.

There is some rust, but nothing major, and I drive her everyday so she goes quiet nicely, and replace the parts that are subject to wear and tear when needed. She has the orignial hood, though some what repaired, and a new one is planned after the cosmetic surgery of respray.

I believe everything is original (or replaced original part with wear and tear), except the steering wheel. (Can someone show me a photo of what that is supposed to be. She came with a statesman steering wheel).

I have a some documentation from previous 2 owners, and all documentation of work carried out by me.

Other stuff:
1977 Leyland Mini Moke
Dulux White 998c engine.
2 seats.

and awesome number plates!

Currently i have insured a 1000(AUD) above what I paid for her in 1995. Which was last neg in 2000. So really need to sort this out.
Any suggestions or techniques to help me with my nice insurer.
Cheers ali
Tim

Post by Tim »

Here in Tas, I'd say $3000-$5000 depending on what the paint and the rust are like. You'd get slightly more on the mainland (with mainland rego), and you'd probably get a lot more in the UK.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Interesting question.

With import duty etc of 85% on the Cost Insurance and Freight (CIF) value we have a slightly artificial value.

In regard to mine (which needs a lot more work :roll: ) given the price I purchased it plus the cost of the parts plus the labor costs (not mine) I would have to get in excess of US$8,500.00 to recoup expenditure.

For insurance I would suggest theat value is what it would cost to get a replacement.
EG If another vehicle hit your moke (not your fault) and wrote it off you could be expected to get what it would cost to get another vehicle in similar condition from that chap's insurer (or another vehicle in similar condition).

As to true real resale value, well it depends on what the next man is willing to pay.
Having a moking good time!

Return to “Moke Talk”