Seats

Doug G
MMC Member

Seats

Post by Doug G »

I do not like the very high back seats I have seen on some Mokes.

What measurements do you take (track width etc) to be able to order new seats for a moke?
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Unless somebody can give me another suggestion, I am planning to get the MWS Classic seats from Midland Wheels plus the frames "FULLY TAILORED MINI SUBFRAMES (PAIR)"

http://www.midlandwheels.com/frameset.asp
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You wont need the Mini subframes the seats mount differently in a Moke......... Yes I'm back !!
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:You wont need the Mini subframes the seats mount differently in a Moke......... Yes I'm back !!
So do I get the universal ones??
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I'm not sure really. I just know that Minis have the brackets at the front of the seat suframe so you can tilt the seats to let people get in the rear --- not a problem with a Moke !
I've seen after market seats fitted to mokes but never taken much notice of how they're fastened down.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Would Suzuki Samurai seats fit?

Has anyone used them?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Take your ruler to the junk yard. Mazda MX5/Miata seats have been fitted successfully. I have a Suzuki Sierra/Samurai seat for the rear of mine.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:Take your ruler to the junk yard. Mazda MX5/Miata seats have been fitted successfully. I have a Suzuki Sierra/Samurai seat for the rear of mine.

Tim
Mazda MX5/Miata's are even more scarce here than Mini's :cry:

I will look at a Suzuki bench seat for the rear. :)
I would like it to fold over and tip forward to allow carrying space in the rear.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug G wrote: will look at a Suzuki bench seat for the rear. :)
I would like it to fold over and tip forward to allow carrying space in the rear.
Thats what mine will do once installed. It needs a few minor alterations to fit in though. It sits a bit too high and its mounting points don't line up with where I'd like them to be. They will after a bit of grinding and welding though.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote: It needs a few minor alterations to fit in though. It sits a bit too high and its mounting points don't line up with where I'd like them to be. They will after a bit of grinding and welding though. Tim
I'll bear that in mind.

What alterations are yoou going to have to do?
You say that the mounting points don't line up with where I'd like them to be. However can it be fitted without the 'grinding and welding ' eg by drilling new holes?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug G wrote:You say that the mounting points don't line up with where I'd like them to be. However can it be fitted without the 'grinding and welding ' eg by drilling new holes?
Yes it could (people's heads would still brush on the roof though) but I have a preference for not adding further holes (or should that be subtracting metal?). One day I plan a full restoration of this car and welding up holes is time consuming to do properly. The car is riddled with enough extra holes as it is.

Also our transport authority requires that additional seats be certified by a registered engineer. He'll be much happier if its mounted as the factory intended. I'd assume that wouldn't be a problem for you though.

Tim

Return to “Hood/Seats”