1275 cc Moke?

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
littlemokey

Post by littlemokey »

Following tonnes of great advice I have decided on the following:
I am going to fit a reconned gear box to the original engine and a stage 1 kit.
I found a half kit (without the exhaust) from Mini Sport, and they can also supply an estate/van compatible exhaust...
Whilst the engine is out I thought I would also change:
All engine mounts, subframe mounts and bushes
Clutch
Knuckle joints
Ball joints
Suspension cones and shocks

Is there anything else I should do while the beast is in bits???

Thank you!
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

You mention an "estate/van compatible exhaust".
How old is your Moke as an estate/van exhaust will probably not fit without serious mods if you have a Moke from 1980 onwards.
Dean
littlemokey

Post by littlemokey »

Hi,
I have an '87 Portuguese Moke...
Mini Speed were sure their Estate/Van/Pick-up exhaust would do the trick.
You think not?
I guess the alternative is to get a regular one and add the bit of pipe???
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

The trouble with a lot of Mini dealers is that they assume a Moke uses all the same mechanicals as a Mini and this is not always the case.
A Van/Pickup/Estate exhaust is nearly identical to a saloon, just a bit longer to allow for the longer wheelbase.
The main obstruction the exhaust meets on it's way to the rear of the car is the gearchange selector and on a late Moke (1980ish onwards) this is in a different position than on any other Mini (including earlier Mokes) so the natural line of a Mini exhaust runs straight through the selector box on a late Moke.
You could give Runamoke or M-parts a call to see if they sell a suitable system off the shelf or try a lash up. Some exhaust centres may be able to make you something up, have a look in Practical Classics etc.
Search "exhaust" on the forum to see how others coped.
Dean
gizmoke

Post by gizmoke »

dean wrote:The trouble with a lot of Mini dealers is that they assume a Moke uses all the same mechanicals as a Mini and this is not always the case.
A Van/Pickup/Estate exhaust is nearly identical to a saloon, just a bit longer to allow for the longer wheelbase.
The main obstruction the exhaust meets on it's way to the rear of the car is the gearchange selector and on a late Moke (1980ish onwards) this is in a different position than on any other Mini (including earlier Mokes) so the natural line of a Mini exhaust runs straight through the selector box on a late Moke.
You could give Runamoke or M-parts a call to see if they sell a suitable system off the shelf or try a lash up. Some exhaust centres may be able to make you something up, have a look in Practical Classics etc.
Search "exhaust" on the forum to see how others coped.
Dean
Yes :lol: :lol:
moking joe

1275 diff ratio

Post by moking joe »

I think I have the same issue, the 1275 engine was replaced 4 years ago on my Aus moke, the car is reasonably quick if you drive it a little hard up to 40mph, but between 50 -60 mph it is a struggle.

If I read the other comments correctly, the diff would need changing to 4.2, but can you check what is already fitted ?

Also, am I correct in suggesting that if I replaced the 13" wheels with 12", it would address this ?

cheers

Dkw

Return to “Moke Talk”