New VOSA Regulation

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Paul Goddard

New VOSA Regulation

Post by Paul Goddard »

Hi all..

I see the new VOSA Regulation mentioned on page 25 of the Feb Moking magazine. Can anyone tell me if this new requirement is met if the hood and side panels are fitted?

Cheers,
paul.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks for your comments.

As you can see from the memo the super structure can include, but is not exclusive to doors, wings, fenders, or any other structure which is mechanically affixed to the vehicle and must be so fixed at the time of inspection. The super structure must not impair access to or from the passenger compartment unduly. Thus, if the vehicle is presented with side screens fitted and fixed this would theoretically meet with this requirement until such time as the examiner wished to alight the vehicle. At which time he would be required to technically dismantle the restraint to carry out a full VOSA inspection. It is however, strictly forbidden for the examiner to dismantle for the purposes of inspection any part of a vehicle which is presented for examination. Therefore, the reason for rejection under doors and structural integrity would be failure to present a vehicle in a condition which would enable the examiner to alight the vehicle without dismantling.

Phil
Paul Goddard

Post by Paul Goddard »

Thanks for the detailed reply Phil,

I don't have access to the regulations at the moment but looking at your reply it tells me that side screens are not an option.... so what is?
Surely any type of restraint will hinder access to the vehicle, particularly if the hood is on.

Paul.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Dear Paul,

As I read the regulations relating to access, the term which is used is unduly, therefore there is the expectation of some possible impairment of access. To my mind it seems the only winners here are those that have got hard tops. Looks like Nigel Jones wins again.

Phil
Paul Goddard

You bugger

Post by Paul Goddard »

looking at 'new vosa regulation code'....

apr foo1....

Glance at calander....

cold shiver running down spine.......

face warming......

I've been had....

Lets just keep this between you and me.....

Your never too old....
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

WHAT !!! you mean all that hacksawing and welding was in vain ? :o
Barry Scott

Post by Barry Scott »

An ex colleague of mine who now works for VOSA, telephoned me on Friday night and asked if I was still involved with Mini Mokes. Apparently they have been receiving letters, emails and telephone calls, predominantly from owners of Mini Mokes, but also from a few Land Rover owners, regarding new MoT legislation.

Evidently somebody managed to get through in to one of the Senior Directors and now HE is trying to locate a Mini Moke for them to evaluate. My friend wasn’t asking to borrow a privately owned Moke. I WAS worried that he was going to ask for mine. He was asking if I knew of any ‘dealers’, as apparently, they have the powers to seize a vehicle for their investigations, providing they return it in the condition they received it and or compensate the owner for the lose of the vehicle or damage TO the vehicle. He did, however warn me that the compensation rarely amounts to anything like the true value.

For the record, I have pleaded ignorance, as I can’t imagine Ron, David, Leo, John or Roger Ltd. appreciating the visit!

Now having received and read the Mini Moke News and seeing what all the fuss is about, I eagerly await the outcome and findings of VOSA. I also hope that they will be insisting on obtaining a Willys JEEP in the same manner.
Paul Goddard

Post by Paul Goddard »

STOP...STOP...SSSTTTOOOOPPPPPPP!!!

This can't go on any longer. Its got to stop.Theres got to be a law against this kind of wind up. Its too detailed, too clever and gone on too long. I'm tired out. I spent two days after getting the magazine moaning about the EU, Government and rules and regulations in general. You've seen Grumpy old men on the TV....

Maybe its a sun spot or a full moon thing but I've been caught out three times by April 1st foolsters. I daren't read anything, watch anything or believe anyone. You win. Now PLEASE. Some reality.
gizmoke

Re: You bugger

Post by gizmoke »

Paul Goddard wrote:looking at 'new vosa regulation code'....

apr foo1....

Glance at calander....

cold shiver running down spine.......

face warming......

I've been had....

Lets just keep this between you and me.....
Just incresed my 'Carbon Foot print' burnt my lumps of 4x2's 8)

Your never too old....

Return to “Moke Talk”