Hood waterproofing

Doug G
MMC Member

Hood waterproofing

Post by Doug G »

I seem to remember posting this query before but cannot find it or the answer(s).

The hood on my moke leaks through the stitching after a few minutes of heavy rain - yes, it does rain here in the caribbean from time to time.
If I keep going fast enough I don't need side flaps :lol:

What is the best was to prolong the water resistance of the hood?

White shoe polish/candle wax/silicone sealant/ some special waterproofer/other?
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

You could try seam sealer for tents. I used black silicone pushed through from the underside but it wasn't very good. It didn't bond onto the vinyl very well and it looked terrible on the inside.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

I can get white |(hood is white on outside 'grey' inside) or clear silicone.

Worth a try to seal the thread holes?
Tim

Post by Tim »

I wouldn't recommend it. I find that silicone seems to attract dirt and dust that sticks to it and stains it. If you were able to just get it in the right place it might be ok, but it tends to smear. On the inside you'll see it against the grey and on the outside it will peel up where it doesn't adhere to the vinyl properly and dust and crap will stick to it and make it visible.

Try to get something like this Image

Its a sort of liquid that dries fairly clear. You apply it on the inside of the seem and it soaks into the stitching. On tents you can usually only see a slightly shiny area where its been on the surface of the fabric on the inside. That sort of thing is available from most camping shops here, you might have to get it over the internet.

Tim
Tim

Post by Tim »

I should add, I don't find that the stitching in my roof leaks much anyway, mainly while its parked, but not noticeably when I'm driving. I get water coming in through enough other places that perhaps I don't notice the seams.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I find that the water generally soaks through the whole of my hood - particularly on the seams, the stiching of which now seems to be disintigrating
Tim

Post by Tim »

Perhaps you need a new one

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

:D That response deserves a Image
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Off on a bit of a tangent I know, but has anyone else noticed that the windscreen wipers are pointless - ten minutes or more of any sort of rain and the screen is as wet inside as out ?
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:O. . . the windscreen wipers are pointless - ten minutes or more of any sort of rain and the screen is as wet inside ....
Isn't that caused by the condensation of your paniced breath because you cannot see out because the wipers are not that great in the first place? :roll: :lol: :lol:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I don't think it's possible to reach the windscreen with your breath while in motion !
Tim

Post by Tim »

Henry, my legendary moking mate (the same one who picked up a girl at the uni bar but lost her out the side while driving her home) never owned a roof and had a moke as his only car. He had a great story about travelling on the highway here in a heavy downpour. As the rain got heavier and heavier the wipers couldn't cope with the rain and all the other cars started to pull off the road to wait it out. Of course if he did that he'd just be sitting in the rain as the moke slowly filled up, so he just leaned his head out the side and kept going. It was perfectly safe, all the other cars had pulled over.

He was a bit cold when he got home, but he was used to that.

Tim
carrie

Post by carrie »

Sounds like London to Brighton last year. Hopefully this year won't be that bad, however in preparation Phil has his waterproof snowsuit all packed.

Return to “Hood/Seats”