Heater!!

liirge

Heater!!

Post by liirge »

I was jsut wondering how dos the Heater* on an engish moke work?? is there additional Dials for it? also
Where does it go?
Kindest Regards
ALASTAIR
Last edited by liirge on Fri Feb 15, 2008 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I don't really understand the question - But if you mean where does the heater go in an English the answer is, they never had one fitted (as standard)
The usual trick is to use a Land Rover (I think) one bolted wherever you can !
carrie

Post by carrie »

the heater as on optional extra on the early english mokes. if your moke was lucky to have a first owner who went for the heater rather than the sump guard you will find that it is common to the land rover.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Looking at one of the adverts in my copy of THE MOKE PORTFOLIO (available from the club) a heater isn't even listed on the options list - passenger seats and a n/s wiper is though !!!
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Heater!!

Post by Doug G »

liirge wrote:I was jsut wondering how dos the radiator on an engish moke work?? is there additional Dials for it? also
Where does it go? Kindest Regards ALASTAIR
I think Alastair wants to know if the radiator on an engish moke is located on the front or the side OR that the radiator works because the waterpump pumps the water through it.

Alastair, the additional dial you might be thinking about is the water temperature guage.
I refer to others for technical information as to how this is fitted.
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Ahh - he wants to know how an English rad works ..... That's simple, it sucks all the ambient heat from the driver and any passengers perched in or aroundthe Moke and uses it to ensure the engine is kept at,or near, operating temperature
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Ahh - he wants to know how an English rad works ..... That's simple, it sucks all the ambient heat from the driver and any passengers perched in or aroundthe Moke and uses it to ensure the engine is kept at,or near, operating temperature
In Australia they take SOME of the heat from the engine and dump it out the passenger side where it blows back in to warm the passenger up more. The passenger doesn't notice because the heater has to be on all the time for additional cooling, so his or feet are already too hot.

Tim
liirge

Post by liirge »

NONO, it was definitely the heater. Sorry just noted the radiator mistake!

and a heater was an option im 100% sure on that, i was just looking at my english moke today, and wondered were on earth they shoved it! as there is no heater duct anywhere i can see
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

The only connections you needed was to the water system. ie two pipes through the bulkhead (in the UK they go through where the LH drive master cylinders mount)
Tim

Post by Tim »

The one shown in that ebay ad is very similar to the one in my '61 traveller. It doesn't have any controls on the dash. Just a flap on the heater you reach down and adjust.

Heaters like that weren't ever used in Australian Mokes. They seem to have all received aftermarket round "beehive" Smiths heaters.

Tim
liirge

Post by liirge »

Yer i saw a picture of a moke with a heater installed, and they sit below the center console! inside the foot well area (sort of)

Regards
ALASTAIR
NiceMini

Post by NiceMini »

my 74 aussie has a smiths heater, i think its standard, looks like a policemans helmet with vents in! never worked when it was on the road thanks to not being wired in?!
73 Aussie moke home on th'orange :)
79 mini van
94 mini 35 sports pack
69 vw camper
Tim

Post by Tim »

Late model Australian Mokes all had factory heaters. I'm not certain when they satrted putting them in. I'm pretty certain that they all had them by '76 because cars from then on had to have windscreen demisters. Before that they seem to have had a mix of factory and aftermarket ones.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I thought Aussie Mokes had what I would call "the Australian dash" from very early in their production run..... even some of the little wheelers I saw in Shepperton had it fitted
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yep, a squared off speedo console with parcel shelves either side. The heater goes in the usual spot, in the centre under the speedo. There is a cover over the wiper mechanism with the back of the wiper motor sticking through. I think even the earliest Aussie Mokes had that arrangement.

After they added windscreen demisters, the parcel shelves got holes in them for the hoses to pass through and an extra sheetmetal panel got added along the lower edge of the windscreen to hold the demisters and an ashtray (part of the emission control of that period).

Tim

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”