Hard-Top aussi ?

Timini

Hard-Top aussi ?

Post by Timini »

Does any body know this model of hardtop :

If you have some kind of fotos, info, model, (mark), age, links ... and especially pics of the front doors (are missing).
Would be kind. Thanks Tim
Mokes are made to drive, not to rest in pieces
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Hard-Top aussi ?

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

That's the rather rare "shovel front" Australian hardtop, fitted with the optional upper deck child seat
Is that any help ?
Come on summer
carrie

Post by carrie »

Didn't Roy Scott have on of those hard tops?
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Well it is not for a Portugese type with that filler cap location.
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Personally I know nothing about hard tops (being a very tough blokey type) but someone I know who is a lot less hard than me told me thats a "Challenge" hardtop. At least it looks a bit like one. I think Challenge made two styles of Moke hardtop. This looks a bit like yours. It has a depression in it to hold the spare wheel.

The picture above came from a thread written by my hardtop-wearing friend on the Australian Moke forum.

http://moke.com.au/Forum/index.php?topic=2121.0

Challenge made a lot of different canopies for pick-ups etc and must have turned out a few Moke ones. They merged with a company called Flexiglass and were called Flexiglass-Challenge for a few years, but it seems as though Flexiglass won out in the end. They don't list a Moke hardtop anymore.

http://www.flexiglass.com.au/search-pro ... mit=Search

Ever thought of a nice soft-top? Or you could just buy a Mini.

Tim
Timini

Post by Timini »

@ Tim, you're correct. That’s the one. I've read your comments about hard-tops here and on the link. There's a point in it. But see it from my view.

For info:
We have 2 Mokes, Aussi 1000cc and a Portugese one. All fitted with canvas new hoods.
The first years, we always drove too meetings in EU and UK, without it. Sometimes, we fitted them on the back-bullbar or last time a trailer. (and didn't use them after all) People thought we were silly. Especially when you have some mini around in your garage with a ROOF, they said. But that’s not the same fun! You will know. That's not holiday, and this is it for us!! Rain, snow,many times sun, ... and sleeping in a tent :P
Some of you would probably have seen us, last years. L2B, Denmark, Salou, …. :wink:

The only thing here, is that this Hard-top (ugly, but funny) was for sale in the neighborhood, and in Belgium you don’t find much of Moke stuff. I just think its cool to have it, fixing it on is another time of … century… 8)

I also have a friend who has a brand new hard-top to fit on a Portugese, but that’s out of the question to buy it for me.

The info is perfect and I hope to read some more. I also have many pics of other strange Hard-tops, if any one would like, I’ll send them to you. (non Scamp or other fake)

Greets Tim
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've probably said it on here before, but the worst thing about hardtops is taking them off again. The one thing that sets a Moke apart from all other cars is that the top comes off.

Most often people buy a hardtop intending to fit them for winter, but then they discover that they still let rain leak in and are drafty and they rattle very badly, especially around the windscreen. They realise that they really need to be attached more solidly so they drill holes and bolt them on. Then they realise that they really need to be caulked with silicone or some other goo, to keep the wind and rain out. When it comes round to summer again they find that its a days work to take it off, and that its almost as big as a Moke so would take up another parking space if they did. Its now a permanent part of the car. Once the hardtop is permanently bonded on they discover that they have built themselves a boxy, noisy Mini. :shock:

By all means buy it, but be aware that "just for the winter" often means "permanently attached". A couple of points to watch out for, you shouldn't have to worry about the fuel filler, your Aussie (and of course your Portuguese) looks like a late model with the side filler, but it probably won't fit over the roll cage on the Portuguese, and might interfere with the roof mounting points at the back and the cover on top of the fuel tank on the Aussie.

Tim
Timini

Post by Timini »

@ Tim, it's indeed a Challenge Hardtop. Sticker is still on the top at the back and lines at the site. There's also a alu-label on the bottom of the back. Says suplied by "canopy industries" (with tel. nr from Brisbane and Sydney), do you know some more about them ? Catalogue or pics of the Moke canopies. Just intrested?

Greets Tim and thanks again for your info. :wink:
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Tim, sorry I don't have any other pictures. I don't ever remember seeing an advertisement for challenge hardtops for Mokes, but its likely they advertised in 4wd magazines at the time.

Tim
Timini

Post by Timini »

It's a bit in the way now. So if anyone intrested, just let me know. Or must i say; a rear PORT/AUSSI bumper and it's yours ;)

Because of cleaning up here and espc. 'the new generation' in the house. :D

Return to “Hood/Seats”