Paint Removal/Soda Blasting

Recommend Moke related parts dealers/services here.
Steve

Paint Removal/Soda Blasting

Post by Steve »

#0000BF]When I started my Mokes re-build, I rang round and searched online for a sand/grit blaster to remove the umpteen layers of paint and some very suspect underseal. I couldn't find one, no one was interested in what they considered a small job, so away I went with the stripping disc's, wire brushes etc .... When I had got it back in paint and lacquer and started to look at all the other bits that needed stripping, I came by chance on a small company that does Soda blasting and conventional grit blasting and powder coating. They have done my subframes, wheel hubs, brake calipers and even my e-bay sourced alloy wheels. (They had also previously done a Moke shell for someone in the northwest!)

So the jist of this is: I have been so impressed with their standard of work and willingness to do even the smallest item that .... I have gone into business with them!

A web site will be up and running in the near future detailing what we can do, but to give you a brief intro:

Armex Soda Blasting is a damage free paint/underseal removal process, it takes the paint off with out causing distress or damage to the body shell, after blasting the body shell will receive a coat of etching primer as a minimum, other protective corrosion inhibitators such as, Zinc phosphate are available at minimal cost. A collection/delivery service is available nationwide at reasonable (Not rip off prices) rates, and of course, MOKE Club/Forum members will receive preferential prices.

Also available, conventional grit blasting of subframes, running gear components, engines etc .. We do powder coating too.

So if your starting a re-build, drop me a PM or e-mail and I'll tell you how we can help you. [/color]
Last edited by Steve on Fri Feb 06, 2009 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Things go better with a Moke
Tim

Re: Paint Removal/Soda Blasting

Post by Tim »

Sounds excellent. I've heard many good things about soda blasting. The local guy here seems to be really good too. He has a car that he's completely stripped on one side and is still painted on the other. He takes it to all the shows and its just starting to get a little bit of surface rust one the bare steel after about a year.

The only negative I've heard is that its very important to remove all the residue from the steel before painting as it can interfere with the paint adhesion.

Tim
Steve

Post by Steve »

#000080]It's amazing to watch the paint come off Tim, so easy and gets in all the nooks and crannies. As the soda does not stick to the metal, any residue gets blown off with the airline then it's given a good coating of etching primer to ward off any potential paint adhesion problems [/color]
Steve

Tim

Post by Tim »

Well if your man has painted over it I'm sure its OK, but Soda definitely does leave a residue on the panels. The residue is advertised as one of the advantages, as it slows down rusting quite significantly. The local guy here has a car which he takes around shows. One side has been blasted clean, the other is still painted. The bare metal is just starting to rust after a year of exposure.

My local guys says to wash it off with soapy water.

Tim
Steve

Post by Steve »

#4000FF]I get what your saying, however water is going to add to the oxidizing process, blown and wiped off then etched primed will sort it out. :) [/color]
Steve

Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah, I think it probably depends on your climate. I always wash panels with a phosphoric acid and water solution before painting. It dries off quickly and leaves the surface nice and clean and ready to paint.

Tim
Steve

Post by Steve »

#0000BF]Got the website up and running ... still have to get the 'contact us form' working, but if you take a look at the site, it'll give you an idea of what we can do.
Last edited by Steve on Wed Dec 09, 2009 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Steve

Post by Steve »

#0000BF]Contact us form is now working.[/color]
Steve

GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

What's the website address?
adelaidesodablasting

Post by adelaidesodablasting »

Hi everyone,just letting you know we are a sodablasting business in Adelaide that offers a mobile service and a pick up and drop off service to our customers.From an entire car to the smallest part you can be assured of friendly, fast and reliabe service.Free quotes and a free pick up and delivery service is available.
Regards Adelaide sodablasting.

mob 0410 830 025
ph 08 81863380
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Does all that freeness apply to me too ? :wink:
Come on summer
Giff

Post by Giff »

Bonsaimonk, could I get a quote for soda blasting a Mini shell?

Return to “Parts and Services”