Hood clips

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Hood clips

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

OK, so my clips for the hood on my Aussie have arrived from Narellan. My question is, being as the one remaining example I have looks as though it's done 12 rounds with Mohammed Ali, could somone post a pic of what they should fit like. Or tell me how they go !!

J.I.C. Ebay No 280 492 081 722 will show what they look like
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Hood clips

And Yes, Yes I know - I've still not worked out how to cut-n-paste / link /be a computer whizzkid fancypants :P
Come on summer
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Which ones are you talking about, the lift a dot ones ?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

No - I mean the curly spring type ones that hold the rear hood frame up
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

I too, am interested in finding out what they are for.
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

I can sort of describe it, but as they fell out of my hood bows a long time ago I can't show you a picture.

OK, there is (meant to be) a clevis pin that the folding section of the rear bow hinges on
The clevis pin is pushed through the two sections of roof bow and has a washer over the end of it.
So you take your curly spring :
And poke the longer leg through the hole in the clevis pin, this retains the washer on the end and stops the whole pin from falling out.

The way they work is that when the hood is folded up the short bent end of the spring goes through the little hole in the 'ear' of the lower bit of the hood bow stopping it from folding up. They sort of work, but usually when the top is folded down they rattle out of the clevis pin and fall on the road.

Mine has a split pin to retain the clevis pin and I poke an 'R' clip through the hole to hold the bars open.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Aa you describe it Tim, is how I'd figured it might work myself. but like you say, I thought they would be susceptable to falling out, plus they seemed to want to undo themselves while holding the hood up naturally !!
And there's me thinking that Australian ingenuety was a bit more sophisticated than that :wink:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

My old ones were a slightly different shape, they were very springy and really tried to stay done up, quite strongly. I suspect that there were two variant designs. The old ones were pretty well perfect, apart from the minor issue of them going astray.

The Aussie ingenuity method is to use a very strong bungee strap with the wire hook clipped into the little hole on ither side. The strap helps hold the hood bows together, otherwise the tension in the hood tends to cause them to bow outwards and will eventually break the hinge part.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

A pic of them in position would be helpful for us with little imagination ability. :D
Tim

Post by Tim »

OK Doug, try to imagine a clip like the ones pictured above, but lying on the road.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Hood/Seats”