Australian Hood Frame (Bows)

PJ

Australian Hood Frame (Bows)

Post by PJ »

I'm looking for a complete hood frame set for a 'P' reg Moke:

Can the experts out there tell me how the Australian bows have changed over the years as I understand there are several different versions?

Has anyone had a set of Chinese ones, which version (year) of the Aussie are they based on, and are they any good?

Lastly, being very optimistic, does anyone have anything suitable for sale?

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
Tim

Re: Australian Hood Frame (Bows)

Post by Tim »

There are two main styles of Australian ones. They changed around 1980. The front bows are the same for both but the rear one is different, it hinges differently, but more importantly it attaches to a section of steel angle toward the outer edge of the rear guards on the later cars. The early cars are more like the UK cars, but I think they have a different hinge.

The Chinese ones are based on the later cars, but I haven't seen them to be able to comment on their quality. You could probably use the front ones ok, but you might have to bolt a bit of dexion to the rear gaurds to use the rears. I don't know what a P reg is.

Tim
PJ

Post by PJ »

Thanks, Tim, that all sounds quite clear.

Sorry, I should have said 'P' reg is about 1976.

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

On the wrong continent but....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Moke-Hood-B ... 2a0d93db5c
Dean
PJ

Post by PJ »

Nice ...... but I wonder what it would cost to get it shipped over here, and, if they are as rare over there as they seem to be here, I expect it'll go a lot higher than $250
egberthakker

Post by egberthakker »

Any drawing available for the AUsie bows , 1981 moke
nippycars

Post by nippycars »

Hi,
i may be able to help with a early aussie rear frame and pivot bars, they are similar to english but have a step in them,
i'll pull them out and upload a picture,
Carl.grigg

Post by Carl.grigg »

I am also in need of info on a hood frame, my Moke is an 85 and built in Portugal but I believe it is the later Australian design I need. Neither M parts or Run a moke have them at the moment so am hoping to get enough info to build them myself.

If one of you fine people who have this style frame could post a pic or two sort of square on with a ruler close to the frame I would be very gratefull. Or if any body lives close to Sutton in Surrey has one I could visit ?

Cheers
Carl
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

HI, have you tried speaking to Leo at Mokepanels.com, he brings Moke parts in from Australia. Always worth an ask, he may know of some somewhere.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Carl.grigg

Post by Carl.grigg »

Thanks for that link had not come across that site before. I have dropped him an email so fingers crossed.

Cheers
Carl
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Hi PJ,

I think that I have a set up in the loft. I will have a look and p-mail you if I have them.

Nick
Carl.grigg

Post by Carl.grigg »

Tried Mokepanels.com but no luck they directed me towards runamoke whom I have tried already.

Have been looking at steel tube and it is not too expensive but I guessed 20 mm with a 1.5 mm wall but that appears a little heavy any body know what tube is used?

Cheers
Carl
Tim

Post by Tim »

I don't know what steel tube was used by I can measure mine (although not a late model), I'd guess 19mm dia. One thing I'd be unsure about is getting the right kind of steel. The bars seem to be relatively springy and stiff, it doesn't seem to be ordinary mild steel, which is fairly soft and easy to bend.

Early and late Australian Mokes all used the same front bar, but the rear one was unique to the 1980 onwards models, and presumably the same as the early Portuguese ones.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Tim

Post by Tim »

My hood bows measure 19mm O.D.(which will be 3/4") and about 1.7mm wall thickness (1/16").

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Carl.grigg

Post by Carl.grigg »

Thanks for the input, I was thinking mild steel would be strong enough but will take advice on that. If my first guess at sizes is close then price wise we are looking at £35 - £40 depending on P&P well within budget.

Cheers
Carl

Return to “Hood/Seats”