Moke wiper motors

XStephenson

Moke wiper motors

Post by XStephenson »

Hi there!

I'm trying to put my moke through an MOT but the driver side wiper has given up.

It's a 1966 Moke, and the wiper which was in situ appears to be a lucas land rover motor (googling suggest its an 'FW2'). As it looks like I need to purchase another one I was wondering if this is what it is supposed to have or simply what someone else put on at a later stage.

I'd really appreciate some help here... even a photo of whatever you guys are using for wiper motors or any substitutes which would work if I can't find the correct one quickly - I'd quite like it back from the MOT before winter!

Cheers
Alex
kenbutterfield

Re: Moke wiper motors

Post by kenbutterfield »

hi you say drivers side wiper, but if it is the landy type unit then you only need one for MOT...take the good one and fit it there easy...I used mine for 15 years like this and it is how they left the factory!....in fact if you fit two then the arms clash , not being synchronised!
let me know what you reckon...ken
PS the bulkhead has two sets of holes because most were LHD
I love the landy motor, as you can warm your hands on it in winter.. 8)
kenbutterfield

Post by kenbutterfield »

Lucas FW2 looks like my original....with manual parking! :lol:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Yes, same as the series two (I think) Landrover one .... and like Ken says, why do you need two ? It only leads to the passenger seeing where you are going
Come on summer
kenbutterfield

Post by kenbutterfield »

Too true nigel...my co pilots are better not knowing :shock:
When I bought my old moke in 1986 it had a pair of motors fitted so I removed one and put it in the back of my garage as a spare....it is still there 25 years later 8)
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I too have two motors, but as you say you can't run both at the same time. As one of them was full of rust inside I considered just having the shell with wiper mounted on the passenger side, perhaps with a connector between them but when I tried the "good" one and saw how sloooooow it was I went back to plan A (stuff the passenger :D )
Come on summer
kenbutterfield

Post by kenbutterfield »

Maybe someone could produce a conversion kit with a spindle on the passenger side and a connecting arm to run two blades with only one motor?
The setup when I bought it was quite amusing...like they were sword fighting in front of the screen :?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Aussie Mokes all had two wiper blades running off a single motor, the most common system used a preslite motor (which is very similar to the lucas landrover style motor) with a set of metal shafts running from the drivers side to the passenger side. I'm sure they could be adapted to fit a UK Moke. Later Aussie Mokes (from the facelift at the end of '79) used a Mini wiper motor with a rack and pinion system.

Alternatively the Japanese Mini fans often fit a linkage system to their wipers, its a shiny bar that runs between the wiper arms, but it looks like its articulated to keep the wiper blades parallel to the windscreen.

I'd imagine that if you had two motors, linking the arms would work quite well to keep them in synch with each other.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Yes Tim, that's what I was trying to describe. You see that set up on pre-war sports cars over here. Though if you had two motors and linked the arms you'd have to take the gubbins out of one motor and just have it for show :)
Come on summer
kenbutterfield

Post by kenbutterfield »

Alex is going to be really happy when he gets back :wink:
XStephenson

Post by XStephenson »

oops! shoulda checked back on this a bit earlier...

My assembly is still a mess... all these ideas really useful. Going to spend some time thinking about this one. There is no rush to solve the problem as I dont plan to drive in the rain much... and the two wipers fighting each other amuses me for now.

I suppose I'll slowly start acquiring parts over e-bay and get right onto this when I've got a clear idea!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Thinking further about this.... Your wiper motor doesn't need to work under its own power in theory. As it's able to be operated manually that should satisfy the MOT requirements, it is after all clearing the 'screen
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

I was practising my web surfing in Japanese and stumbled on a link to a youtube video of the cantilever wiper arrangement fitted to a Moke. I't looks a bit weird.

http://youtu.be/4ZV1-BWOWBc

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Electrical”