Run-a-moke Hoods

longo90

Run-a-moke Hoods

Post by longo90 »

Hi Everyone,

I own a lovely white Cagiva Moke (1993, last of a dying breed) with green piping. I originally got in touch with M-Parts for a new hood but they said they are out of stock and having difficulty producing more so I turned to run-a-moke. They managed to give me a price and sent me an email saying the white is not the same and there are several "improvements".

I have since asked for photos and for them to be a bit more specific as to "not the same white" but have since not received anything back (been a week now).

Has anyone here bought a replacement hood for a Cagiva Moke from run-a-moke? I want to know if its worth loosing the authentic hood or keep waiting till M-Parts come through with their version of a replacement?

Cheers,
Jake
fistral fig

Re: Run-a-moke Hoods

Post by fistral fig »

Hi Jake, although I do not have a Cagiva, I have just had Runamoke fit a new hood on our Portugese, and it is white with red, and again has lots of improvements over the original, and we are very pleased with it, but like you are finding, pace is a lot slower at Runamoke and I mean that in the nicest possible way, but I am pleased I waited for their hood, you will not be dissapointed, If you are in Essex you are welcome to come and look at ours first...........FF
longo90

Post by longo90 »

Thanks for the reply Fistral, the Portugese model is pretty much the same as the Cagiva one so thats good to know. Can you elaborate a bit on the improvements??? Can't seem to find much info on these improvements anywhere :/

I appreciate the offer to visit and will keep that in mind. I've been quoted a price of £825 + VAT + delivery for the hood which is basically over £1000 when you add all that up and so am a bit apprehensive about spending that much without any info on what changes have been made.

Cheers,
Jake
MiniCord

Post by MiniCord »

I bough a British Moke hood from runamoke in January.

I have to say I was very pleased with it, the quality is awesome and Ron was very patience and helpful with me. It's true he may take a while to answer, but once he does, he will take the time to answer all your questions.

Miguel
fistral fig

Post by fistral fig »

Hi Jake, as far as I am aware the Cagiva hood had different side screens to the Portugese to begin with, and where as mine had 3 seperate zips on each side of each piece, the new ones only have 2, so the zip goes up and over the top, the centre joinng zip is in a different place (further forward in front of the roll bar) so you can open and close it up easily from the front seats, they also roll up and hide away inside the roof as well, the other big difference is instead of have a fixed zip piece on the quarter lights and when the whole roof is removed you still end up with half the zip attatched to the quarter light, with the new one that has been changed for a sliding channel so when the roof is removed it slides out and looks a lot neater.
But I dont know what the Cagiva hood spec is I am afraid ....FF
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Hi Jake,

I ordered a new hood from run a moke two weeks ago and have seen the hoods he makes at his place. i have dealt with ron ever since i bought my Moke. and have also tried to deal with M-parts, Ron wins every time. M-parts are very disapointing.

One thing to consider is that Ron is now in his eighties and still works full time.

have a look at his web site there are pictures of the hoods.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Number 6 wrote:and have also tried to deal with M-parts
He-He :wink:
Steve

Things go better with a Moke
davon

Post by davon »

Runamoke hoods are very, very good, I have had a number of them. The white colour is a very bright white, but compared to the original Cagiva has a very slight cream tinge to it. The original Portuguese material is no longer available now. This as you know was a very bright white indeed and I have never seen any material like it unfortunately. If you fit the hood yourself be very careful when drilling the top of the windscreen frame, if you go too deep you will make contact with the screen glass with the inevitable result !!!
Go with Ron, he is good.
DJ.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Having a moking good time!
longo90

Post by longo90 »

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful replies :)
davon wrote:Runamoke hoods are very, very good, I have had a number of them. The white colour is a very bright white, but compared to the original Cagiva has a very slight cream tinge to it. The original Portuguese material is no longer available now. This as you know was a very bright white indeed and I have never seen any material like it unfortunately. If you fit the hood yourself be very careful when drilling the top of the windscreen frame, if you go too deep you will make contact with the screen glass withthe inevitable result !!!
fistral fig wrote:Hi Jake, as far as I am aware the Cagiva hood had different side screens to the Portugese to begin with, and where as mine had 3 seperate zips on each side of each piece, the new ones only have 2, so the zip goes up and over the top, the centre joinng zip is in a different place (further forward in front of the roll bar) so you can open and close it up easily from the front seats, they also roll up and hide away inside the roof as well, the other big difference is instead of have a fixed zip piece on the quarter lights and when the whole roof is removed you still end up with half the zip attatched to the quarter light, with the new one that has been changed for a sliding channel so when the roof is removed it slides out and looks a lot neater.
But I dont know what the Cagiva hood spec is I am afraid ....FF
Thats a lot of the answers I was looking for, thanks both to Davon and FF. Everyone would say that Runamoke is good but these specifics help a lot. Unfortunately I can't get Ron to fit the hood, my moke is in Malta and I have no choice but to fit it myself
Number 6 wrote:I ordered a new hood from run a moke two weeks ago and have seen the hoods he makes at his place. i have dealt with ron ever since i bought my Moke. and have also tried to deal with M-parts, Ron wins every time. M-parts are very disapointing.

One thing to consider is that Ron is now in his eighties and still works full time.
Glad to know this is a labour of love for Ron. Funnily enough the person I bought my moke off is in his 80's and makes a hobby of restoring minis/mokes and austins. The only thing he doesn't do is the trim, hes even currently restoring a rust bucket of a 1967 moke (seen it recently and its already beginning to look like a moke again!) The only downside is that the hood is very expensive :s I want to order one now but struggling to pull together the money :( I was quoted £825 + VAT and delivery. Thats about £990 + delivery which will easily tip to about £1050 :shock:

I might have to just bite the bullet and order the hood. I emailed him a couple weeks ago but still haven't heard back.
Doug G wrote:Anyone tried using 'Sunbrella' material to make a hood?
I have seen a moke with this type of hood in Malta! It was shocking pink too :? Also seen one with a wicker hood, another used to tow a fair sized dingy on its roof. The sunbrella hood actually looks quite good! but needs regular changing, once its been in the sun too long, it looks a bit rough.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Jake
fistral fig

Post by fistral fig »

Jake, I spoke to Ron recently and will be seeing him soon, I know he was away for a while so try again now........FF
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

The use of Sunbrella (water proof and fairly UV resistant) is a major material or choice for boat bimini tops.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The colour schemes worry me a bit I must say !
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Which do you think is the most hideous? :P
fistral fig

Post by fistral fig »

Jake, this is the Runamoke hood as fitted to my car...........FF

Return to “Hood/Seats”