Austin Decal

Recommend Moke related parts dealers/services here.
biggiezeke

Austin Decal

Post by biggiezeke »

I have a 66 Austin Moke and the Austin decal above the grill is peeling off. Does anyone know where I can get a reproduction, or will I have to do it myself?
janz
MMC Member

Re: Austin Decal

Post by janz »

Hi Biggiezeke, welcome to the forum.

Normally the Austin decal is an aluminium badge held on with two rivets, one each side. I believe it is the same as the rocker cover badge.

Should look like this: http://www.simoncars.co.uk/austincv/sli ... grille.jpg

They regularly crop up on ebay - reproduction, but as good as if it were a new original

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-MINI-C ... 2eb7326489

Hope that helps
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

The Club sell them (or used to).
Speak to Mark.
Dean
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

You're quite right Dean. Just looked in the last parts booklet and both Austin and Morris badges are there. Price £tba though. I spoke with Mark yesterday and he is sending a current parts list through. It might be an idea to put it on the site so that it can be updated on a regular basis. I'm sure that... and I've fallen victim to it myself... members buy a lot of parts for their Mokes outside of the club because they do not know that the club can offer them.

Anyway, food for though :)
JanZ
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

janz wrote:Hi Biggiezeke, welcome to the forum.

Normally the Austin decal is an aluminium badge held on with two rivets, one each side. I believe it is the same as the rocker cover badge.

Should look like this: http://www.simoncars.co.uk/austincv/sli ... grille.jpg

They regularly crop up on ebay - reproduction, but as good as if it were a new original

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-MINI-C ... 2eb7326489

Hope that helps
Janz,
From reading up on the English Mokes, I thought the same as you. I even pointed out to a local guy that he should have the "riveted" style placard above the grill instead of the sticker. You could even see the two holes behind the sticker where the placard would've fitted. He told me that was the way it came from the factory and that he used to work for a BMC dealer. (the only reason he had the Moke is because the dealer couldn't sell it)
Then, I started tearing apart my 67 that had an Australian "Moke" badge attached by the previous owner. I could also see the two rivet holes that the placard would've fitted perfectly. Imagine my surprise when I found a sticker underneath the Moke badge.
So, at some point the factory switched from the riveted placard to the sticker. I figure it was probably sometime in 1966 when they started to change the rocker covers.
As one friend said, "The more you learn about these, the less you know..."

Edited to add: Me? Even though the sticker/decal is "factory correct" I used the riveted on type. If anyone ever points that out to me, I'm gonna kick 'em in the butt because they're already bending over way too far....
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Robin,
Robin Jones wrote: Then, I started tearing apart my 67 that had an Australian "Moke" badge attached by the previous owner. I could also see the two rivet holes that the placard would've fitted perfectly. Imagine my surprise when I found a sticker underneath the Moke badge.
So, at some point the factory switched from the riveted placard to the sticker. I figure it was probably sometime in 1966 when they started to change the rocker covers.
As one friend said, "The more you learn about these, the less you know..."

Edited to add: Me? Even though the sticker/decal is "factory correct" I used the riveted on type. If anyone ever points that out to me, I'm gonna kick 'em in the butt because they're already bending over way too far....
Was that sticker the same size as the ally badge and if so, had someone drilled holes through the sticker and panel to rivet the badge on? Later Austin Morris rocker cover stickers have straight borders - not curving around where the rivets would go. Was it like that?

You're right... just when you think you are sure about something, the contrary pops up :roll: but that's what keeps it interesting :D
JanZ
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

The sticker was the same aproximate size of the riveted on badge. (never did measure it) And, it covered up the two factory holes that would've originally been for a riveted on badge. So, apparently, BMC changed from the badge to the sticker and never changed the tooling that placed the holes in the grill panel.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Interesting Robin.... I have been scouring the net for pictures and detail is hard to find, but then I found my copy of the Mini Moke 1964 - 1989 (25 years) book (almost the same as the one you can get now with the beige gold Portuguese Californian on the cover). The early version has an F reg (68 I guess) Mk2 Morris Moke on the cover. The badge definitely looks like a sticker. The border is made to look as if there are rivets - or at least semi-circles where the rivets would have been. I found this on Minispares. May be worth #4000FF]Biggiezeke[/color] checking with Mark Peacock which ones we have in the club.

Ironically, the Austin version on this site has straight borders

My 64 (yes, recently acquired) has a riveted one :)

You definitely learn something new everyday :D
JanZ
biggiezeke

Post by biggiezeke »

Thanks for the information. That's why I love this site!!

If you're interested, check out the pics from my 66. The front panel does have the two holes that were covered by an Austin "decal" and you should be able to see the decal on the rocker cover that is bubbling off.

http://freddyrubble.phanfare.com/2012/
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Thats why the shaped ends on the Morris sticker...... So it looked like the (more expensive) riveted one that preceeded it
Come on summer
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

biggiezeke wrote:Thanks for the information.
If you're interested, check out the pics from my 66.
http://freddyrubble.phanfare.com/2012/
Cool looking Moke... would I be right in thinking that wind got the better of the unrestrained bonnet (or is it 'hood' 8) ). That'll be a nice and rare Mk2 in Snowberry under there. Keep us updated with progress Bigzeke! :D
JanZ
biggiezeke

Post by biggiezeke »

Yep. There's nothing better than stopping for gas and finding out the bonnet is gone!! While driving back to find it I asked my son to surf the web for a hood (in case we didn't find it.) He kept telling me the prices and asking me if I wanted a left or right door. What the hell? That's when the yanks figured out that the thing that covers the motor is a bonnet and the thing that covers the passengers is a hood.
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

:lol: there are may confusing differences accross the pond... imagine the humour (sorry, humor......) when I entertained some guys from New Bedford MA at our local Indian restaurant full of paying clients when they started talking about losing their 'fanny pack' at the airport :o
JanZ
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Where abouts in the (ex) colony are you ?
Come on summer
biggiezeke

Post by biggiezeke »

We are in Folsom, California, which is the northern central part of the state.

http://vomund.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v26/p833188576-3.jpg

http://filelibrary.myaasite.com/Content ... 916372.jpg

Return to “Parts and Services”