Seat runners for English Moke seat

janz
MMC Member

Seat runners for English Moke seat

Post by janz »

Has anyone fitted seat runners to steel English Moke seats? I'd like to be able to adjust the seat to pedal position but keep the steel seat. As luck would have it, my driving seat has been lowered at some stage, so hoping to fit a mechanism between lowered seat and frame to bring it up and slide about at will :shock: :lol:
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Seat runners for English Moke seat

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Can't remember how you compare in height to me, but now I've got the padding on my drivers seat the top rail of the screen is directly in my eyeline . I either drive looking over the top of the screen chewing flies or hunched over the wheel. Perhaps that's why the seat was lowered ?
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Are you fairly tall Nigel? I have the 'tombstone' style seats in mine, and I certainly notice that I sit higher than in the old moke that had the sling style Aussie seats, but I still see out through the windscreen OK. Although I do tend to hunch down a bit. I'm about 5' 11" but the guy I bought the Moke from is 6' 8". I have no idea how he fitted in especially since he had a hardtop on it.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I'm 6' ish :o But the thing is, the early (metal) seats are higher than Aussie ones. That's one of the first things you notice when you sit in my two, the Aussie you sit IN it whereas the African you sit ON it
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Interesting, I assumed those hard looking steel buckets would sit down pretty low. You definitely feel more secure in the earlier Aussie ones. When I switched to the later ones I felt like I was going to slip out the side during fast cornering.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Can't remember how you compare in height to me,
I'm probably similar height to you - about 6'3". I'm more horizontally challenged though :lol: my problem is leg length and circumference (puns about diets will be ignored at this stage :x )
1. I can't get the belly behind the wheel :shock:
2. I can't angle my feet up high enough to used the pedals :?
So I can just about drive it by sitting on a thick cushion. Wheel under belly, and foot angle not as severe. If I keep the seat lowered and but put it on runners, I could clear both problems.
I was wondering if you were going to say
Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:the early (metal) seats are higher than Aussie ones. That's one of the first things you notice when you sit in my two, the Aussie you sit IN it whereas the African you sit ON it
Our aussie's driver seat (about 1980-81) is on runners, but overall, it does feel like you're lower than on the English steel seat. I have so far only experienced the passenger seat at full height and was very glad to have the handle to stop me from flying out. Assuming that seat mountings are the same in English and Aussie Mokes, it should be possible to fit a similar seat subframe to the one used with the Aussie shell. Any ideas?
JanZ
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Jan. I am replacing my Choke seats with some Aussie ones. You are welcome to try one, they have runners, and I am similarly challenged like yourself :o
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Yes you can fit Aussie seats in an English... I'd recommend the early type Aussie ones i.e. not the tombstone type.
Come on summer
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

I want to try and keep the English seat... but as the driver's one has been lowered, fitting an Aussie subframe under it (somehow) may bring up the height and give the rake required to accomodate driver dimensions. I have late Aussie seats in the Aussie (Engstralian) Moke. They're comfy but could merit new foams. I was going to take one out and compare.... (ooooerrrr missus, the luxury of having both to try out :lol: ) - don't say the words 'Bank Manager! :x

Are you fitting early Aussie seats or later Californian style ones Graham?
JanZ
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Jan. late californian ones, a pair of these:-

http://www.miniandmokeworld.com.au/file ... 544707.jpg

and when I go to Oz in October. I will bring a proper rear seat back with me.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

P.S. As to the foot accelerator angle, I too suffer when driving longish distances. It's as if your right heel needs to be 3" or so higher
Come on summer
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

When I saw the car, the guy selling it on behalf of the owner drove it, probably realising that I would end up embarassing myself if I tried to get behind the wheel. He drove it onto the trailer and we tied her down good n proper like.... On returning home, I was quite keen to get Moke off the trailer and under cover. I hopped on the trailer and parked my rear end part on the panier part on the seat.... :o how the Dickens am I gonna get in :?: :!: Ok, lifted up and wormed the belly into the wheel... Oooomph - not comfy :| Then I found my left knee on the wrong side of the gear stick :shock: What had I done :roll: Anyway, gritting my teeth, squeezing my left leg back round the gear stick... I blindly hunted for the tiny pedals. Now out of breath, I slowly drove Moke off the trailer doing near permanent damage to my diaphragm :lol: I don't know how many neighbours were watching... but they said nuthin! Now with the cushion on the seat, it is sort of OK... but I don't think I would be able to repeat the Oxfordshire to Arkholme drive in that position :wink: I reckon.... seat up 1.5 to 2 " and 3 inches back will make her just perfect.
grantourer wrote:Hi Jan. late californian ones, a pair of these:-
They look like new versions of the ones I have in the Aussie...... I need new foams. Do you think that site does them?
JanZ
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

grantourer wrote:Hi Jan. late californian ones, a pair of these:-

http://www.miniandmokeworld.com.au/file ... 544707.jpg

and when I go to Oz in October. I will bring a proper rear seat back with me.
The blue ones in the background are what I would call "Late", the black ones are the fixed back earlier type.

What do you consider to be a proper rear seat? There still seems to be a lot of mystery over what Leyland actually fitted and what is "genuine". There's a guy near me who is getting frames made up using a genuine frame (or what he says is genuine). You still have to make the cushion bases and back yourself though. They look different to what the Brookvale mob show on their site though.
Dean
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Hi Dean,

I have these
They will tilt forward to allow access to rear without having to wurm your way through the roll bar. You can't adjust the seat back though. Only the driver seat is on runners. As far as I can work out, they came from Runamoke in 1983/4 as 'original'. Are they?
JanZ
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Yes, these are the late seats. They slide and fold forward. The vinyl came in various colours and styles.
Dean

Return to “Hood/Seats”