hi from seychelles

Freewheeling banter.....anything goes as long as it's clean and nothing to do with Mokes.
vickycats

hi from seychelles

Post by vickycats »

Just wanted to say hi.
This is the first time I have discoverd this site and its great to see so many enthusiastic moke owners. I have lived here for 2 years now and I have a little burgandy baby, and i think she is abour 23 years old. She is falling apart and I keep trying to put her back together, (she's in th garage now) with the help of my great mechanic James. He's a moke owner too. There used to be hundreds of mokes all over the island and the numbers are gradually falling. It would be nice to keep in touch. I'll try and send a photo next time.
from Vicky.xxxx
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Welcome to the forum Vicky,
It's great to hear from Moke owners in other parts of the World and The Seychelles attracts lots of interest as it was, of course, a popular place for Moke hire fleets to flourish.
What country are you originally from and did you have a Moke before your move?
All the best,
Dean.
vickycats

mokes in seychelles

Post by vickycats »

I'm originally from Leeds in Yokshire and i've been working here for 2 years. The closest i've had to a moke is my first boyfriend having a mini, thats about 15 years ago!!!!
I love my baby a great deal and am seriously thinking about shipping her over when I return in 2006, in her state the MOT people will wet their pants laughing. We're alowed to get away with allsorts here as its really tricky to get parts, for any cars not just Mokes. For instance my mechanic has to make his own exhaust pipes and stuff. When I come to UK on holiday I travel back with mini parts, 15 kilos last holiday!!!! I know more about car parts now than I ever have done ever, I've got lots of shiny bits glinting in my engine and I know what they are!!!!!
thanks.
Vicky.
mpmoke

Post by mpmoke »

Sounds great to have a Moke on Seychelles! :)
But must be tricky when you can't get hold of spares.. :(
How many people are living there and how many cars are driving around and how many of the are Mokes? The only thing I know about seychelles is the stamp with the Moke on.
Are there still roads to drive on after the Tsunami ? Didn't the water got there as well? Maybe not som much as in India, Thailand etc..
BMC Mini Moke 1967, English, yellow (object..)
BMC Mini Moke 1964, Rhodesian, green (running)

Post by Guest »

The population of the Seychelles is about 80,000, the seychellois speak creole which is almost a basic french language.
People tell me that years ago everyone had mokes on the main island of Mahe, where I live and the place was flooded with them. Nowadays sadly, people have more hard currency and wish to buy the top of the range peugeot or whatever!!!! I wonder why? who needs air con when you have open sides, (although its sometimes not good in the rain, i've seen one with zip on/off sides, nice!!)
We (my neighbour and friend Steve and I, he has one too.) keep trying to count the mokes, as they are all very different. we've got past 50 so far. I dread to think how many are rotting away in sheds etc. Luckily a few hire companies still rent them out, so there are a few beauties. Especially a lovely white one with a red trim, mmmmmmmmm.

Seychelles was affected by the tsunami, but luckily only one life was lost. It did do a great deal of damage to boats and houses, etc. A friend of mine has video footage of the waves slowly creeping up to his house, waves that never quite went back, it looked very scary.

Spares are tricky, but I luckily have a few contacts in the UK. I had a steering column and rack sent out not long ago!!! That was a bit expensive to post, as you can guess. The car itself was very expensive when I bought it, and its the cheapest car you can buy here really. It was 25, 000 rupees, which is about 2, 500 pounds!!!!!!! I wouldn't be without it though.

cheers. Vicky.
X
islandtime

Re: hi from seychelles

Post by islandtime »

Yes, spare parts are an issue in a small island state like Seychelles.
It was part of everyday life and added a certain island flavour. Nowadays it's a more rare sight, but you can go back in time with www.islandtimeseychelles.com and rent a Mini-Moke on Mahe, Seychelles.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I've had a look at the site, but I can't find any Mokes :cry:
Come on summer
islandtime

Post by islandtime »

The fleet is visible in this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANUgtIvq5Bs
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Nice little film Islandtime.... but I am sure you are aware that those are Ming Mokes (or Chokes as we know them), not original Mini (or Cagiva) Mokes.... :wink: Having said that, getting originals restored and approved for the rental market would be nigh on impossible now I guess. Just be aware that spares may be different to Mini or Cagiva Moke spares. One thing is for sure, I'd rather drive a 'Choke' on a tropical island than one of the things they call 'Moke' in Barbados nowadays: :roll:

What the xxxx is that!? :shock:

I will probably be in Seychelles next year (on business - can't afford hols) and hire a car. If you're competetive, I'll hire one of your Mokes.... or Chokes,.... :D
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

"It" is a 'converted' Suzuki.

The 'conversion' is done with Suzuki's approval.
Having a moking good time!
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Did the approver have a long white stick with a couple of red bands on it with him by any chance.... :lol:
JanZ
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

janz wrote:Did the approver have a long white stick with a couple of red bands on it with him by any chance.... :lol:
I believe that the 'owner' of Simpson Motors is on the Suzuki Board and the conversions were done there, well at the start anyway..
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Almost looks as though its got a Moke hood though
Come on summer
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Looks like a pudding bowl haircut to me :roll:

Was looking through the Argos catalogue... and you can buy it there for about £45

JanZ
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

There are very few mini mokes in Barbados.

I lived there for a while in the late 80's and can't recall seeing any. :o

Return to “Side Scream”