Details of National

Loch Tay, Scotland
dingbat0

Re: Details of National

Post by dingbat0 »

Thanks Paul and Karen for arranging an excellent National, Mick, Yvonne and Charlotte!
Pig Pen Love Machine

The National

Post by Pig Pen Love Machine »

What a great National

We have just returned from a fantastic National

The Events are getting better by the month.
it really started last year with the IMMM in Germany which was double tops for us.
this years National was a close second.

This is what Moking is about. Lots of people of all ages and abilities meeting up in fun cars to chew the fat and drive around the countryside
together and put smiles on peoples faces.

next for us is the IMMM in Luxenbourg when Weske and Anja have a high standard to aim for but if anyone can keep up the pace its got to be these two Mokers.

Lets leave the Club Politics buried in darkest Wales and England and have some fun as a club whilst the weather lasts.
Thats whats just happened in Scotland and its what will happen we hope in Luxembourg.We cant sit back and watch so called club members spend time arguing over who is or isnt doing what , who should or should not have what Committee position and gerrymandering .
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Paul is right to feel dismayed at the turn-out - committee members or not though, and yes PPLM :wink: agree that club politics should not mar what was obviously a great weekend.

That said, it was always going to be a challenge. We often speak about the 'usual suspects' and for many of them it was a significant journey to undertake for a weekend especially if there were large tents to pitch in potentially bad weather, only to take them down again 2 days later. Full credit to those that made the journey, considering George drove all the way down from Scotland for last year's National in Devon... but how many others from 'oop nawth' made it then?

We would have loved to have made it and had in fact planned a last minute assault - only our new (17 year old) Mokerhome (no not Gin Palace) that should have been delivered on the 21st did not materialise until last Tuesday night - collected from Castle Donnington (that's already oop nawth fer us) with raging flu.... not enough time to get towbar fitted and van operation checked out :cry: So far so good by the way (Paul, no need to check up on the guy in Coalville - all worked out OK)

It's a shame because our daily lives are getting more hectic, there's less and less time... and it's all too easy to forget what a great time we have when we are out Moking together - mind you..... Loch Tay???????? it is a long way away.... :lol: Can you imagine IMM 2015... is it Lithuania.... or Latvia.... :roll: Kent is far enough :lol:
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
PJ

Post by PJ »

A great weekend for the few who did get there - thank you Paul and also Simon, who led the drives.

I thought any Club's 'National Rally' was supposed to be the high point of the year and an opportunity for everyone to get together and meet fellow members: a mere 10 cars and no officers of the club in attendance does not reflect well on the Moke Club. We had lovely scenery, great driving roads, intersting places to visit, a good campsite with chalets for those who didn't want to camp and an excellent restaurant on site for those who didn't want to cook - I don't know what more can be offered to get people out and driving the cars that they spend so much on and supposedly love so much!

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I wasn't aware that it is mandatory for committee members to attend all events !
Come on summer
Lindandy

Post by Lindandy »

If 40 Mokes had turned up at the National...with no committee members, then no one would have said a thing...in fact it would have been a resounding success! But unfortunately 40 Mokes didn't turn up, so why should the committee members be singled out? We have over 400 members in the club, where were they? The reason they wern't there is simple....."Communication". We rely on the Moke Mag. to impart information about events 5 times a year.....it's not enough! We need to communicate with all members with regular e/mails. We need to get committment!! I know I keep banging on about it.....but if we want people to turn up to events, then we need to communicate! So how's about we stop squabbling, forget any "Issues" we may have...and perform as a "United Club!!!" I'm sure that we have the technology to achieve those goals. Kind regards, Andy.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:I wasn't aware that it is mandatory for committee members to attend all events !
No-one has suggested it should be mandatory - I just think that if the Club is being run by active and committed Mokers at least some of the committee would be there, which leads onto........
Lindandy wrote:..."Communication". We rely on the Moke Mag. to impart information about events 5 times a year.....it's not enough! We need to communicate with all members.......
With other clubs that I have experience of, 'The National' or whatever their premier event is called, is a chance to meet other members and the governing body of the club. When do we get a chance to meet our committee, air our views and take them to task over our concerns? - there is only the AGM once a year, which isn't enough and does not give us the chance to air our views informally and off the record, and does not give the officers a chance to go away and come back with a considered response.

In six years of membership I have never met or heard anything from the Regional Co-ordinator for my area and, apart from the time when I served on the committee, there have been many committee members who I've only met once a year (at the most) at the AGM. These people stand for the posts and expect to get elected but are not in touch with the membership. I should not lay all the criticism on the committee - if the members want to pay their subs and do no more, then the Club will stagnate and die.

Maybe the time is right for a new 'Moke Drivers Club' with an emphasis on getting out on the road and actually using these fantastic little cars
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi, as I said previously. I would not be able to attend, this was because of my job. As I will be at the IMMM, because it is part of my holiday. Does that make me a bad committee member? I do try to get to Moke events, BUT I do have to work weekends.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

The event has passed.... milk has been spilt and is turning sour now :cry: .... let's dry our tears and look forward to next event
JanZ
PJ

Post by PJ »

Graham,

I appreciate that not every Committee member can attend every event - and you attend more than most, so no criticism intended.

see you in Luxembourg

PJ
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi all,
Seems that the location could be a problem i.e. last year way down in Cornwall, this year way up in Scotland, perhaps next year somewhere in the middle?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
teardrop
MMC Member

Post by teardrop »

Hi Chris we try and rotate the national as much as we can it depends which members come forward to do the event. Scotland has not had a national in years so that is why i arranged it that way .
Yes i was disappointed at the turn out and pj might be right , and yes i did get appoligies of some committee members if i offended i am sorry but the club must start working together or else Moke fifty will not get the support .
loose wheels dont roll forever
LAWSONSMOKE

Post by LAWSONSMOKE »

Back on the Isle of Wight after a very enjoyable National in Scotland, well worth the drive. Thanks to Paul for arranging it, Simon for mapping out the excellent routes and everybody else that went for making it a real friendly event, look forward to the reunion where we can have a pasty and a pint. x
PJ

Post by PJ »

Chris,

Are you volunteering to organize, or assist with, next years' National? Derbyshire would be a great location - it's got some great scenery, good roads & attractions and, for me, it's an area that I am not overly familiar with and is not too close to home (I like a bit of a drive to an event)

Go for it!
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Sounds like a great plan - could even do Peak District - that's close to Belper..... it's a long time since I've had an 'Anchor Banger' in Tideswell... :D yes that is something to eat to include sausages :roll:

I'll help out (drive planning etc...) if you like.... and I'm sure others would too
JanZ

Return to “Moke Club National 2013 - August 2nd-4th”