Auto Moke!

The place for eBay Moke alerts/comments/moans and laughs
Wally2
MMC Member

Auto Moke!

Post by Wally2 »

An automatic Moke on e-bay, anyone else heard of a Moke with an auto gearbox? I dont think it would do very well with an 848cc engine!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-Austin-R ... _273wt_958
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
chris naish

Re: Auto Moke!

Post by chris naish »

Showing my age now, but there have been English automatic Mokes.. One which springs to mind is/was owned by Godfrey Wallem. It was specially ordered by a chap on an estate in Kent....Godfrey worked on the estate, and I think he purchased it when the chap passed on. DKN was the start of the reg... he did early London to Brighton runs..it wasn't too bad speed wise, but i seem to remember he did one 4 up once...and said it should have had 'Express Dairies' down the sides! Dean....you must remember Godfrey and Carol....we all got drenched in the middle of Hever Castle Maze.....happy days!...do you recall the story of it?
Chris Naish.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Bnicho (pops in here occasionally) had one until recently. Brett's was from a 1990 1275 Mini or Metro. He really liked it and was quite an advocate for the auto box, but it developed a fault and I think he found that it was uneconomic to repair, so he swapped it for a manual from a Rover Mini.

Its quite an undertaking to fit an auto. The subframe needs to be swapped and the floor cut to fit the auto shifter, as well as getting rid of the supernumerary clutch pedal and master cylinder. Also there is a very limited choice of diff ratios for autos, so they are better suited for 10" or 12" wheels than 13"s. The other big disadvantage is that you have to lavish autos with care, they must have their oil changed at very low mileage intervals, or they fail expensively.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I may be missing something here, but I never understood why the twin engine Mokes didn't have an auto for one of the engines. It must be easier than juggling with two gear sticks.
Come on summer
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

Don't know how to post E Bay...but 161072728173..I think used to be owned by Phil Mitchell.... and was on the winning stand at the Bromley Pageant of motoring in 1994....and was Automatic!!
Chris Naish.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It looks more like a Portugese now
Come on summer

Return to “eBay”