RC Moke body

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Wally2
MMC Member

RC Moke body

Post by Wally2 »

Hi all,
Looks like Santa may just be bringing me a 1/10 th scale Tamiya Mini Cooper for Christmas! So after I've built it I could do with a Moke body shell to put on the chassis, are there any available?
If not I will attempt to scratch build one using the detailed drawings in Roy's Moke restoration book.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: RC Moke body

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Chris, you're the man that I can usually rely on to find a past thread on any question so what's going wrong? I'm sure there was a pretty comprehensive discussion about this in the run up to the 2014 IMM
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Nigel, as usual you are quite correct. Daniel had 5 made by Christian in Germany, cannot remember his surname. Daniel's Dad knows or knew Christian. Wesley had one, Jan had one, Daniel had one and I had 2, and sorry neither is for sale.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Chris, you're the man that I can usually rely on to find a past thread on any question so what's going wrong? I'm sure there was a pretty comprehensive discussion about this in the run up to the 2014 IMM
Hi Nigel,
I did pick up on the old thread but was unsure if I could add to it as it is now archived, so I started another thread!
There was a lot of discussion on this but it was some time ago so I was wondering if there were anymore Moke 1/10th scale shells about, obviously Graham's not for letting his 'spare' go - shame!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Chris, you're the man that I can usually rely on to find a past thread on any question so what's going wrong? I'm sure there was a pretty comprehensive discussion about this in the run up to the 2014 IMM
There you go Nigel, it was actually the 2013 IMMM in which the subject of RC Mokes was discussed. See it was a good idea of mine to get you to archive each years posts so we could all look back at them!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Chris,
Try Ken Butterworth, he's had all sorts of RC stuff and built a cracking Moke. (Or Mork as Ken says.....)

Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Roger,
Tried Ken but no luck.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

What about Ken Butterfield? !!!!!!!!!
Chris Naish.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Wally2 wrote:
Hi Nigel,
I did pick up on the old thread but was unsure if I could add to it as it is now archived, so I started another thread!
There was a lot of discussion on this but it was some time ago so I was wondering if there were anymore Moke 1/10th scale shells about, obviously Graham's not for letting his 'spare' go - shame!
Chris
The only reason the spare is not for sale is. I have bought a low profile 4 wheel drive chassis for it, found the chassis on EBay japan.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Graham,
So you are looking to beat Roger to a four wheel drive Moke!!!!!!
Come on Roger, a challenge here!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

The Tamiya Mini cooper is a cracking car but the chassis is a little high for the Moke body to fit correctly IMO.
I have a few Tamiyas inc Minis and the like and started to rip a spare Tamiya M03 Mini to bits to make a Moke replica.
I've custom made a chassis and bolted the suspension to it so that the body is more realistic. I'm using original Moke plans (dividing by 10 for the scale) and plastic card for the panels. Used Tamiya Beetle wheels (as they have the hub caps) as opposed to the Minilites.
I plan to put 3 batteries down both sides although modern battery technology might find me a better soloution.

If you decide to sell the Mini shell let me know.

There was a guy sometime ago that made a lexan Moke shell but I cant find it now, to be honest it wasn't very scale hence why I went down the route of a custom job / lets face it the lines arent difficult.

One advantage with the Tamiya Mini is it's ace to drive - never get bored of running mine. Owned it since 2001 and it's been used and abused and still goes strong. but dont get me talking about Tamiyas as i've had well over 100 at one time (now about 40ish!!)
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Wally2 wrote:Hi Graham,
So you are looking to beat Roger to a four wheel drive Moke!!!!!!
Come on Roger, a challenge here!
Chris
Graham may well pip me to the post in 1/10th scale, but there are stirrings in my workshop once more.......
Stand by if you can bear a long wait, otherwise sit down, relax, this may take some time ! (Or more time, to be clear about it!)

Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_mode ... 31&id=6733

By eck - found it, that was bugging me. Anyways he says the shell was made by IMM - Spain a quickl google finds some links to old adverts in 2005. So maybe not much help.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Drake wrote:http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_mode ... 31&id=6733

By eck - found it, that was bugging me. Anyways he says the shell was made by IMM - Spain a quickl google finds some links to old adverts in 2005. So maybe not much help.
Hi, that was one of the shells made by Christian, and using the M01 Chassis. Which was a lower profile than the M03, which is more common. Might be worth asking Daniel, if we can get anymore shells?
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Daniel, Any chance of any more shells?
Mind you, like Drake, I may go the route of using plastic card, after all only the bonnet has a curve in it. had not thought about the chassis being high though. The mini kit has an M05 chassis so I don't know how that compares with the earlier M03. Will have to wait until after Christmas when I've built it.
Cannot believe all the different 'hop up' parts that are available, i.e. metal suspension fittings and oil filled shocks, looking at the prices of these they could double the kit price. I have gone for ball bearings to replace the plastic ones in the kit, as for the other bits, I'II see how it goes with the kit parts. The beauty is that the bits can be changed later on - more fun taking it apart and rebuilding - just like a Moke!
Drake, how about some photos when you get going?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Moke Talk”