Shocking

Mickey C

Shocking

Post by Mickey C »

Hi all
I'm largely an urban moker but this does mean millions of pot holes and speed bumps which my moke clunks over in a teeth jarring way. I did also manage a bit off road recently and although good fun, the suspension definitely needs improving.
I've this thread with interest:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4153
but also wonder is there no after market significantly improved shock absorbers available for a Portuguese moke? I could go bespoke / made to order shockers but something cheaper off the shelf would be great if anyone knows of anything?
thanks either way
Mike
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Shocking

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

What you really need is some big fat high profile tyres, they make things a lot smoooooother
Come on summer
Mickey C

Post by Mickey C »

Thanks Nigel
I've got mini lites on which look good but now you mention it, are certainly not helping smooth things at all. I will look into this but also will do the shocks because after 30 odd years, probably need renewing.
Mike
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Mike, you're talking about the wheel rims. I'm talking about tyres
Come on summer
Mickey C

Post by Mickey C »

Ah, that's much easier, I know a tyre guy so will have a chat with him.
Tim

Post by Tim »

After 30 odd years your rubber cones will have compressed and hardened up too. You would probably find that replacing them with quality new ones will help a lot.

Several years ago now I fitted the Moulton Smooth-A-ride kit to mine. It consisted of new rubber cones (modified taller ones), new shock absorbers and height adjusters. It made a huge improvement, however over time the cones have sagged, so its not nearly as good now. I suspect that the material that the modern cones were made of is not as good as the original ones. Probably if I was going to renew them I'd use a set of the 'genuine' ones that are available, they seem to have a pretty good reputation in comparison to the other aftermarket ones available now.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”