Making a long journey......

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
jimmyjamfactory

Making a long journey......

Post by jimmyjamfactory »

I was hoping someone will be able to advise...
I need to make a long trip (125 miles) in my Moke that has never done a journey longer than 23 miles.
I realise some of you will have made massive trips in your MM and I am hoping to tap into that knowledge.

Apart from having a good, robust AA membership (!!!), can anyone supply me with some good advice??
For example:
Quick motorway or slow A roads?
What stuff should I take with me? Oil, water, etc?
What tools/handy things shall I take with me?
Roof up or down?
How often should I stop?

Any help would be gratefully received.
BTW - it is going to the garage for a mechanic to give it the once over.

Look forward to your thoughts!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Making a long journey......

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

For longer trips like yours I generally use the motorway, depending on engine size etc you can either cruise with the wagons or race along the fast lane at 70+ I've a 1275 so I tend to the latter unless I'm towing the caravan then it's the former, either way it's a lot of fuel stops :oops:
Spares...The days when the breakdown man was certain to have at least some A series bits in his van are long gone so any breakdown will involve the truck of shame and a garage visit (unless it's on the way home in which case it's a hefty saving on the fuel bill :lol: ). If you're having the consumables (plugs,points,cap etc) changed at the service take the old ones with you. If the new ones develop a fault at least you know the old ones work and will get you home. Oil and water yes, fan belt, couple of fuses and what about a bypass hose? The concertina ones can be fitted at the roadside if the need arises...yes, I know they are rubbish and should only be used to get you home but isn't that better than sitting in a garage for a day with the head off waiting for a proper one and a head gasket?
Tools. A pair of 7/16" 1/2" 9/16" 5/8" couple of screwdrivers, pliers. Basically have a look in your toolbox and take a selection
I'm sure you'll get a few more ideas given.....but where are you headed? The national?
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

hi,
I find that in my 850cc Moke I tend to go on the A and B roads and avoid motorways, may take a little longer but all the more enjoyable. I find It more comfortable with the roof up on long journeys (less wind battering).
When I was in your position, others on here advise me to stop every 50 miles or so for a breather and stretch of the legs, this I did but now I find I can go about 75 to 100 miles between stops.
I tend to store spare parts and tools in the side boxes, as Nigel say a few spanners, short stubby screw drivers are useful for getting to hose clips in awkward places, spare hoses (especially a bypass hose) but bear in mind what ever goes wrong you wont have a spare - always the case. A torch can be very useful! I take litre bottles of oil, water, brake fluid, windscreen cleaner etc.
Most important!!!! breakdown cover!!!
Just take it steady and enjoy!! If your going to a Moke event and you breakdown, get them to bring you to the event, someone will usually manage to help you out, if on the way home no problem, as Nigel says it will save fuel!
Get the mechanic to check your brakes (always useful to be able to stop!), ignition (points etc.), plugs, exhaust.
Will we be seeing you in Falmouth?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Aye, forgot about that....it's got to be top down, wear a hat though and a warm coat. It might be scorchio when you set off but it's breezy at 50 - 70
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

125 Miles is only 200Km, that would get me to the next city. :lol:

My preparation would be a full tank of fuel, check the tyres and oil and go.

If I was doing it today, I'd have the top up, a decent coat and even wear long pants, its flippin' snowing again! Man we've had a shocking winter.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

What? Shocking!! With snow and rain and cold and rain......poor baby :cry:
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Yes it's sunny here...for a whole week now :shock:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:What? Shocking!! With snow and rain and cold and rain......poor baby :cry:
More like with wind and rain and wind and snow and wind and cold and wind. I'm sick of it, its been going on for days!

Saw a bit of blossom this morning though.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

a Mere 125 miles in a moke..? some of the guys drove 5000 miles from MMW to MME in the past.. in a two weeks.. been 90F plus here for last 45 days.. NO snow in site.. later bc

Return to “Moke Talk”