Brake pads

Doug G
MMC Member

Brake pads

Post by Doug G »

I have disk front brakes and drums on the rear.

How often do you replace your brake pads?

The drums (handbrake) don't work well. How do I correct this?
Having a moking good time!
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Brake pads

Post by Wally2 »

You tend to replace the disc pads just before they start chewing up the discs due to the fact that theres no pad materiel left!
The drum rear brakes - check that there is some material left on the shoes and that the cylinders are not leaking brake fluid onto the shoes (this stops them sqeaking but is not very good for stopping the moke!). Also bleeding the brakes (and replacing the fluid if required) can improve the braking performance.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You could always try adjusting them
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've never replaced the brake pads on mine yet. Haven't looked at them for a while either, but they are still working well.

As Nigel says the rears almost certainly need adjusting.

When you have plain drums they need adjusting (front and rear) pretty regulalry, however when you got to disks the fronts take care of themselves and as the rears don't do much you tend to neglect them. Its a good idea, when you adjust them to take the drums off and clean the dust etc out (being wary of the possibility of asbestos dust) and inspect them. Then re-assemble and adjust.

Adjusting the rear brakes isn't too bad, the manuals explain how to do it. I like to adjust mine so that I can feel that its giving a slight resistance to turning (with the wheel on and jacked up).

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Wally2 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 16:11 You tend to replace the disc pads just before they start chewing up the discs due to the fact that theres no pad materiel left!
The drum rear brakes - check that there is some material left on the shoes and that the cylinders are not leaking brake fluid onto the shoes (this stops them sqeaking but is not very good for stopping the moke!). Also bleeding the brakes (and replacing the fluid if required) can improve the braking performance.
The cylinder went bad. I am getting a new one.

Will make sure that the brakes are bled properly.
Having a moking good time!

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”