Dash Cams

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

Dash Cams

Post by Doug G »

I has an accident a year or so ago, when a van stopped and reversed into me.

I wish I had had a dash-cam then in my Mini Moke.
Fortunately there were two independent witnesses that stepped forward.

Problem is that Dash Cams are usually plugged into the 'cigarette lighter' socket. My Moke does not have one installed . . . yet. However I have a 'cigarette lighter' socket ready to be installed.
They can be recording on an 'endless loop'.

Second issue is that they are normally attached to the windscreen.
Thus you cannot leave the Mini Moke without taking it with you (unless you wish it stolen :lol: ).

Considering putting it in a 'clear' plastic enclosure/can/bag and installing it on a fixed bracket in the engine compartment in a 'drinks can' painted black but with a clear plastic 'front' up against the grill, to 'waterproof it'.
This way (in a can) it will hopefully look like a bit of an engine (the bonnet does not lock) to camouflage it and then hard wiring it to the ignition switch (so it will go on when engine/ignition is turned on).
Yes, I know that I will have to check it is not covered in dust/dirt/mud before I go out.

Any other suggestions?
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Tim »

Use a windscreen mount for your phone and run a dashcam app?

I stick my phone up on the windscreen so that I can use the Google maps app. The holder I have has a cutout in it so that the camera can see.

Taking it out when you arrive isn't a problem, because it your phone and you'd take it with you anyway.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Great Idea.

I however would have to have some sort of lanyard connecting my phone to my belt, so I just did not get out and forget it. :lol:
Having a moking good time!
Everlands

Post by Everlands »

You could look at cameras intended for motorcycles - you can get them with small cameras that permanently mount on the vehicle, and the control panel / screen is removable.

(PS - Hi all, new forum member here!)
Ezeltje

Post by Ezeltje »

Hi, welcome aboard...

André
-/__MOKE MY DAY__\-

Return to “Moke Talk”