Original colour v Value

Slow Smoke Moke

Original colour v Value

Post by Slow Smoke Moke »

Although white at the moment my 68 Moke was originally Spruce Green. I'm going to have to restore it at some stage and thus get it painted but I'm not keen on Spruce Green at all.

Understood that originality pays but the question is by how much? Assuming that I'd go for something conservative and probably green anyway, is having your Moke not it's original colour a major issue in terms of its value?

Thanks,

Nick
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Original colour v Value

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I think that really it depends on whether your flipping it or keeping it........if you're building it to sell on asap then stick with an origional colour to maximise your returns. If it's for you and you plan to keep it then paint it a colour that pleases you, it's your moke after all
Come on summer
Slow Smoke Moke

A combination of updating but staying close to original. That said it's go a 1275 engine so I'm off being true to original. I'm coming to the conclusion that I like it in white which is the current colour, but on rebuild do it in one of the original BMC Moke whites.

I se in the magazine that they also came in Snowberry White and later Old English White. Do we have any information on those colours and what would a 1968 Moke have been done in?

Thanks Nigel.

Nick
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

When the Mark 2 Mini model range was introduced in September 1967, some of the improvements were applied to the Moke which itself evolved into a Mark 2 version. However the mk2 Moke was never officially launched by BMC and these designations were never used by the factory. The first Mk2 Mokes were manufactured around the first or second week of September 1967 but for a period of time during the switch from Mk1s to Mk2s, there was a hybrid period where cars had a mixture of both Mk1 and Mk2 features.

The colour range for the Mini range changed at the same time and Old English White was dropped in favour of Snowberry White across the range. So your Moke would definitely have been Snowberry White with grey (rather than white) wheels.

There are very few surviving Snowberry White Mokes. I have probably seen less than half a dozen in the past 35 years. Roger
Should you wish, you can always contact me at M Parts
Slow Smoke Moke

Thanks Roger.

Regrettably mine was Spuce Green but I'm just not keen on it. So likely to go for Snowberry White; at least it was an original Moke colour.

Is there any information on the grey for the wheels?

N
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Is there a list of the colors in which 'Australian' Mini Moke (in 1970's) were factory painted?

If so, does anyone have that list?
Having a moking good time!

Return to “Bodyshell”