Wheels

james@savemydata.net

Wheels

Post by james@savemydata.net »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have just purchased a 1987 Portuguese Moke. I want to change the look with a different set of wheels and tyres. Have been looking at a set of the following from JBW.

JBW 7.0 x 13 Superlight 4 x 101.6mm (4") - MINI -7 Black Hi-Light 175/50R13 Nankang 72v

Can these go straight on the car or am i likely to have problems?
Any comments or advice out there would be very welcome.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Wheels

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

If the rims are mini specific, which they seem to be by the description, you should be ok. They are 13" rims though so you'd have to run pretty low profile tyres to clear the rear radius arms
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

There is a Portuguese Moke here in Tasmania, I believe it is the only one in Australia. It runs 175/50 R13 tyres. They look tiny.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Having seen a couple with that set up Tim, I’d fully agree with you
Come on summer
james@savemydata.net

Thanks, that is useful. This is principally about looks so what size wheel/tyre combination would you suggest? I want it to look wider, a little more customised.
james@savemydata.net

You are right, I just found some pics online and the 13" looks very small. So what size do you guys think is ideal?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Standard rims are 12" and that's probably about the best diameter to go for as you then get a fair amount of sidewall showing. I think 165s are pretty easy to get hold of
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

165 isn't very wide though. If you want the wide look you could probably go to 185 on wider rims, you would probably need arch extensions to cover them though. I reckon its best to not go too wide. If you go silly you can end up with traction problems. Mokes aren't very heavy so they can aquaplane in the wet.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”