Oil Leak

rjgy

Oil Leak

Post by rjgy »

Bit frustrated, having had the engine and gearbox professionally rebuilt. I have put them together and installed in to the Moke. New electric throughout as well. Successful start, although problems with the fuel pump and carburettor which I can sort out.
If I run the engine in an attempt to tune the carb and set the timing correctly I now have oil coming out just below the pulley. Not pouring but enough to drain the whole lot out in about 20 - 30 minutes. This only happens with the engine running.
I will have to take the whole lot out again, engine and gearbox, separate them to see where the leak is coming from. Any clues of what to look, for apart from replacing the front oil seal? Any advice on the best gasket sealer.
Richard
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Oil Leak

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

If it’s below the pulley then it’s pretty certain that it’ll be the rubber seal.
Did you trim it to length while fitting it?
Did you put it in the right way round?
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:17 If it’s below the pulley then it’s pretty certain that it’ll be the rubber seal.
Did you trim it to length while fitting it?
Did you put it in the right way round?
I have made the mistake Nigel highlights, and had the same problem you are having. The Seal goes in the length it is, then compresses around the crank when you mate the block and gearbox.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

When I had my 850cc engine and gearbox rebuilt, I had the same problem. From what I can gather, there were two different seals, the earlier one being shorter than the later ones, but you can only get the later ones now. After the engine had been out twice more, a new seal was fitted but cut slightly shorter, if you fit the longer one, it can 'ruck' up as the gearbox and block come together resulting in a leak. It worked as no leak now.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
rjgy

Post by rjgy »

Thanks for the advice. Have the engine/gearbox out now. Just need to separate them.
Any views on best gasket sealer?

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”