Wiper Motor & Seatbelts

rjgy

Wiper Motor & Seatbelts

Post by rjgy »

Advice requested please.
I'm now at a stage with the rebuild of my 1972 imported Aussie Moke where I need to source and fit a wiper motor & wipers. I also need seat belts (I have welded in the front seat anchor points whilst replacing the complete floor!)
I would be very grateful for any information on where to purchase the correct products and some pointers on installation.
Perhaps the alternative is to visit a car breakers yard and try to find something that will fit???
regards Richard
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Wiper Motor & Seatbelts

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

What sort of wiper motor should it have? If it’s like the one on mine then you could well have a struggle to get one
Come on summer
rjgy

Post by rjgy »

I have no idea what it should have. Assume it was a Aussie supplied one and realise that they are almost impossible to find. I'm happy to install something that works even if its not the right one.
I
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi. You can buy a kit of bits to make up a wiper system from Car Builder solutions:-

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ ... &orderBy=0

They do 2 kits 110 and 130 degree sweep. I think you need 110 degree for an Aussie. Not sure where you would get the black spacer blocks from. As these are different on the saloons etc.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

There are a multitude of similar style wiper motors for use in boats. The ones used on early land rovers were also similar, but I don't think there is anything that will fit without tinkering and modification.

Seatbelts are easier. Unless you have a roll bar or something to support the sash at shoulder height you'll be limited to lap belts. There are many choices, but I would recommend using one with a cable stalk at the catch end. The ones with webbing get lost and fall down between the seats. The stalk needs to be about 35cm to reach from the floor up to a good height. If you're trying to keep it period looking its more difficult as most modern buckles have a flouro orange bit on them, but assuming you're in the UK, there should be ones available with chrome buckles and different coloured webbing.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Tim wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 Seatbelts are easier. Unless you have a roll bar or something to support the sash at shoulder height you'll be limited to lap belts.
Here in the UK it is not legal to use lap belts on anything registered after 1st January 1965 as you have to have three point seat belts.

Having said that, many MoT testers are not familiar with the intricacies of seat belt legislation and you do see quite a few UK registered Mokes with just lap belts. Roger
Should you wish, you can always contact me at M Parts
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

At 1972 it would have the tube frame seats wouldn’t it? These (well mine do) have a little loop on the frame that holds the seatbelt so it doesn’t slip down between the seats
Also at 1972 you wouldn’t need to worry about MOTs surely?
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

What seat belts did UK mokes have between 1965 and 1968?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

That’s one for bodge............ But realistically until the Portuguese came along you’d only have two mounting points as standard
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Tim wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 0:03 What seat belts did UK mokes have between 1965 and 1968?

Tim
My 68' Moke came with static seat belts. The over shoulder belt was secured at the rear mounting point, in the rear tub. They used to slip off when in use, if you want inertia reel. You will need to fit a roll cage. These used to made by Safety Devices, http://www.safetydevices.com/ You would need to contact them.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Or me. I’ve got a spare one wasting space in my garage 8)
Come on summer
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Tim wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 0:03 What seat belts did UK mokes have between 1965 and 1968?
During the 1960s, most home market Minis and Mokes would have had their seat belts fitted by the dealer and not by the factory. The main suppliers of static seat belts were Britax and Kangol, the latter with a magnetic clasp. But the choice was usually down to which ones a particular dealer preferred to fit.

As Graham describes, in around 1966 the rear mounting points were moved to the rear inner hulls, just forward of the rear shock absorber mounting where the rear wing slopes down. So the straps for the belts had to be very long! Previously dealers and Moke owners themselves would probably have fitted them to the inner hulls just behind the front seats.

During the 1960s and early 1970s, it's easy to forget that very few people actually used seat belts, even though it was law to have them fitted.
Should you wish, you can always contact me at M Parts
rjgy

Post by rjgy »

Thanks for all of the advice given. I've been without the internet for a couple of weeks, hence the delay in this reply.
I'm hoping to have the moke registered with DVLA in the next month or so. Hopefully I'll have the seat belts in and the windscreen wipers working by then.

Return to “Bodyshell”