MOT rules

Posts relating to the Club.
r.crumbleholme

MOT rules

Post by r.crumbleholme »

I find the change in the law not requiring a MOT for a historic vehicle in the UK difficult to understand. There is a good system in place to annually ensure that such vehicles are roadworthy - in these days of H& S why do away with this basic safety check (there were allowed exemptions including emissions etc).

I personally still have my Moke MOT’d and thus have a document stating that the car is roadworthy. The test that I have just had highlighted play in a track rod (only 2 years old !) - so this was remedied straightaway.

Richard Crumbleholme
Dorset UK.
GJB 121C
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: MOT rules

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Richard,
I responded to the authorities during the consultation phase saying that this was not a good idea, perhaps require an MOT every 2 years. I did not agree with their conclusion that testing stations were not experienced enough to test historic vehicles and I continued to get my Moke Mot'd. However, last year I took the Moke to the garage where I have work done (their name is 'A-Series, says it all!) but as they do not do MOT's they take it to a local test station who were experienced with classic cars. Last year just before my MOT, the station shut down as the owner retired, so they took it another local one who they thought would be ok. They failed the Moke on a Major Defect as they said there was slight play in the front wheel bearings, the guys at my garage then had to tighten them up, get it passed and then back the nuts off again as per the procedure (tighten to correct torque and back off to the nearest split pin hole). This has changed my mind and I now appreciate the gov's position! If my garage can find another test station that know what they are doing I will continue to have an MOT, if the cannot then I will get them to give it a thorough going over, I wont have a piece of paper saying it's ok, but I will have piece of mind.

Just to note, on the old MOT certificate it used to say "An MOT Test pass confirms that, when examined the vehicle met the minimum legal requirements for those items prescribed under the Act. It does not mean that the vehicle fully meets all legal requirements or that it will continue to be roadworthy for the next year. It is your responsibility to keep the vehicle maintained so that it would always meet MOT standards and be free from other defects."
The new certificates do not seem to have any such disclaimer but there is probably something on the web site no doubt!
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Jez

Post by Jez »

Just had my Moke MOT'd. Pass with normal advisories which have now all been sorted. And will continue to do so.

I recently questioned my Insurer and asked if they were going to insist on an MOT subject to issuing an Insurance Policy, Lancaster said they would not implement a policy that would go against Government legislation !

It's all complete nonsense !

Jez
DBL 785B
r.crumbleholme

Post by r.crumbleholme »

I have just seen my MOT garage owner and he showed me how my Moke is registered on the system - tapping in the reg No, it stated that the car was taxed and MOT’d. I am surprised that the insurers are not demanding something to ensure that vehicles are roadworthy - I asked mine when renewing recently and they did not seem bothered !

I bet it would be a different story if you had an accident - a neat way to avoid meeting a claim and potentially very serious indeed for the vehicle owner. I am lucky that my garage is old school with experience in 1960’s cars but I can see how you could suffer at the hands of a computer driven inexperienced mechanic !

Happy Days
Richard Crumbleholme, Dorset
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Richard,
I am still hopeful that my garage can find a suitable MOT station then I can continue getting the Moke MOT'd.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi all. The problem with MOT's and Insurance companies, will only come to a head, when there is a test case, after an accident. Insurance refusing to pay, as vehicle not MOT'd. With the defendant siting the rules, as laid out by HMG. Unfortunately it will depend on the Judge! and if this is the case. I hope nobody will be seriously injured
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate

Return to “Club Talk”