1973 Aussie Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
cr0we

Re: 1973 Aussie Moke

Post by cr0we »

So after much digging and headscratching, I now realise that my car's engine is not the original 1973 A Series but in fact a circa 1980s A+ Series motor presumably from a Metro. All the signs are there, the HIF38 carb, the 65D dizzy, the verto clutch, the ribbing on the engine block, the low entry point for the dipstick etc. I initially thought it was a 1275, but after consultation with grantourer, we concluded that it is the 1 litre.

So after replacing a few of the electrical parts, rotor arm, dizzy cap, plugs and coil, I set about trying to start it up again. I still haven't managed to get the old tank out yet so I disconnected the fuel pipe just before the fuel filter and fed in some new fuel from a slave tank suspended above the engine bay. I disconnected the inlet to the carb and turned the engine over a few times to flush out any old fuel in the pipes, reconnected it and turned it over. A few turns later, the engine fired into life. No coughs or splutters, just straight into purring like a kitten!

The last MOT (in Cyprus) was in 2017, and it's been stood in my Dad's carport since then unused so I didn't run it for very long as I don't know the state of the oil and cooling systems but it runs and so I can now start the process of pulling the car apart for its resto.

Return to “Project "M"”