English Moke lights

Tom

English Moke lights

Post by Tom »

Hi all,

My first post here!

I have a 1968 English Moke, which I bought in Malawi years ago and shipped over to UK more recently. I fitted filament WIPAC Land Rover type lights all round (side, 4 x indicators, stop & tail) as this was all that was available at the time. I'm now at the point where I'd like to replace/upgrade these as I have found them quite unreliable and dull. I appear to have 3 options:

1) Keep the units I have and fit LED bulbs - I presume I'll still have reliability issues with wobbling bulbs and corrosion in the holders.
2) Upgrade to sealed unit LED WIPAC/Land Rover types - Quite a modern look but reliable, bright light.
3) Replace with original Moke style units and fit LED bulbs, where possible - True to original but am concerned that I will still have reliability issues (again with wobbling bulbs and corrosion in the holders).

Any thoughts/experience here would be much appreciated!

Thanks all.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: English Moke lights

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

When you say land rover type lights do you mean the ones with the lenses held on by screws? As fitted to late production minis for the front indicators.
The original type units have always been available and if you get decent quality (ie expensive) ones the rubber boot seals the backplate in quite nicely. These are what I fitted to Hilary’s moke but used older style glass lenses rather than the plastic ones you get with newer units.
Come on summer
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

One concern with the stock Lucas beehive rear lights is there is not much room for an LED bulb to fit. I prefer the stock look.
Live Laugh Moke
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

With regards to early Moke rear lights, these should fit:- https://spiyda.com/40mm-4w-stop-and-tail-bayonet.html as they are adjustable. I used their lights on a Portuguese.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

But...but....but....it says they’re out of stock. :cry:
Come on summer
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, Nigel, those are the ones I mean.
I see that M-Parts have the full range of original lights & reflectors. Although pricey, they are apparently original and their supplier is apparently brining out a range of LED bulbs to fit later this year.
I've also been in contact with Classic Car LEDs (https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/) who say they have LED bulbs to fit these Lucas lights.
Thanks for the link grantourer.

Return to “Electrical”