Fuel Leak

winchester

Fuel Leak

Post by winchester »

Morning
My 1975 Australian Moke has not been on the road for the last few years. I have run it up a few times in the last week with no problems. Yesterday I ran it and it leaked petrol from the inlet to the carb. There looks like there is a small plate that the fuel pipe pushes up to and the fuel seems to be coming from there. Is it an overflow? Seems ok to have one right above the exhaust manifold. Has anyone got any ideas?
IMG_4138.PNG
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Fuel Leak

Post by grantourer »

Hi, if you have one pipe connection on your Carb, it is an inlet, should you have 2, one is inlet the other is over flow. overflow had a pipe that took it away from the exhaust.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
winchester

Post by winchester »

Thanks Grantourer, there is only one pipe, the inlet. Can you see the photo?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The pipe in your picture is the overflow pipe. It should have a pipe leading from it to take any spillage out and away to the clutch housing end of the engine.
Any leakage from the float chamber is usually indicative of a sticking needle valve, probably caused by a bit of grit stuck between it and the seat. It can often be cured with some judicious tapping on the side of the float chamber
Come on summer
winchester

Post by winchester »

I’ll give it a tap Nigel, thanks.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Those early ones don't have an overflow pipe, the overflow is a hole in the alloy beneath the inlet pipe at the top. The metal plate has a raised bump in it to let the fuel run out while stopping dirt getting in the hole. The fuel will leak out from the bottom of the plate, collect on the top of the cap and dribble off down the back of the engine where the hot exhaust pipe is located. Strangely it doesn't seem to cause fires...very often.

As Nigel says, its probably a bit of muck stuck between the float needle and its seat, but you may need to replace the needle and the seat.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Ear in mind that my advice of tapping is really just a “ get you home” solution and the proper fix, as Tim says, is replacement of the needle & seat. It’s not a big job or even expensive, just be sure to have a new gasket for the chamber top to hand.
Come on summer

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”