Exhaust system

Shaun78

Exhaust system

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi all,just wondering what is the best exhaust for a 1978 Australian moke with a 998 engine I have a standard manifold on the engine at the moment but could be changed if there is a good full system for the moke.
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Exhaust system

Post by grantourer »

Maniflow do a good system for 998 Mokes, includes the bend around the gear shift. Got Maniflow's on both of our Mokes You would need an inlet manifold though
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

grantourer wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 17:07 Maniflow do a good system for 998 Mokes, includes the bend around the gear shift. Got Maniflow's on both of our Mokes You would need an inlet manifold though
It's a 78 moke though Graham, I know Maniflow make one for the 80 onwards models but don't know if they offer an off the shelf fitment for earlier ones? (although they will make a custom fit if you can take the car to their workshop).
Dean
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I’ve got the maniflow on mine (‘79 model) and it fits, the bend goes round and reduces ground clearance a little but I’ve not caught it yet!!
Come on summer
Shaun78

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi all after a few delays I am on the hunt for an exhaust I would like to get a maniflow system,they dont list the link pipe on there website it says to contact them,i have tried but they dont reply,also just wondering which would be best to fit a 3 into 1,or an lcb up front. thanks.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm not sure that there is a perfect answer to your questions. I gave up on trying to contact Maniflow years ago. They might answer phone calls but they don't care about emails - which is rubbish when you're in Australia.

I'm pretty sure that they do not do a link pipe to suit Mokes with the short rod change bars (i.e. prior to late 1979). The one they offer is for the later Mokes which have the change mechanism a bit further back. As I understand, the bend at the bottom of their manifolds points directly at the change mechanism, with no room to attach the link pipe.

On my garage floor lying next to my Moke is the system I'm going to try to fit over winter. I've gone for a twin box RC40 and a Maniflow 3 into 1 (STR816). I know that I will need to modify the mounting bracket for the rod-change, and I expect that I will need to cut, rotate and maybe bend the extractors to get it all to fit. I will also fit a flex joint in the extractors which may help too. I've got all the stuff there, but I reckon its going to mean taking the Moke off the road for a while, so I'll wait another month or two while the weather is still warm.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Shaun78 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 18:56 Hi all after a few delays I am on the hunt for an exhaust I would like to get a maniflow system,they dont list the link pipe on there website it says to contact them,i have tried but they dont reply,also just wondering which would be best to fit a 3 into 1,or an lcb up front. thanks.
Hi, this is what you need:- https://maniflow.co.uk/index.php?view=p ... oduct=1311 I have used this on 2 Mokes with no problems. I have used both 3 into 1 and LCB, prefer 3 into 1 easier to fit, in my opinion.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Shaun78

Post by Shaun78 »

Thanks for the replies,I think I will go with the 3 into 1 system.
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

grantourer wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 15:52
Shaun78 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 18:56 Hi all after a few delays I am on the hunt for an exhaust I would like to get a maniflow system,they dont list the link pipe on there website it says to contact them,i have tried but they dont reply,also just wondering which would be best to fit a 3 into 1,or an lcb up front. thanks.
Hi, this is what you need:- https://maniflow.co.uk/index.php?view=p ... oduct=1311 I have used this on 2 Mokes with no problems. I have used both 3 into 1 and LCB, prefer 3 into 1 easier to fit, in my opinion.
What manufacture years are your Mokes Graham?
Dean
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Dean wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 19:41
grantourer wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 15:52
What manufacture years are your Mokes Graham?
Dean
Hi Dean, as it says in the signature we have a 1981 Aussie and a 1989 Portuguese. Both with Maniflow systems on them. There is a Mod on Mokwerx to put a standard Mini performance exhaust on:- https://www.moke.com.au/in-the-garage/g ... it-exhaust Thought about trying it,
but not had time to do it.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 I’ve got the maniflow on mine (‘79 model) and it fits, the bend goes round and reduces ground clearance a little but I’ve not caught it yet!!
Have you got a photo of the gearchange on your Moke Nigel and how the Maniflow pipe fits round it?
Dean
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I’ll go crawl round the floor of the barn with my phone when I get up
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

There you go. View from the rear, with thanks, because I notice (apart from the oil lake) that one of the rubber bobbins has given up the ghost…..so that’s my next job

A20B1613-8E4F-4C34-81BE-96A3B15E9021.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Come on summer
Shaun78

Post by Shaun78 »

Thanks for posting the picture now I can see what I need to do,when I got my moke the exhaust had just been made from pieces so wasn't sure how it should be,but it was used on a farm until it had a 10 year rest in a barn,but slowly coming back to life again.

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”