1979 Leyland Aussie (Italian) California build thread.

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
MLPoke

1979 Leyland Aussie (Italian) California build thread.

Post by MLPoke »

Hi there.

I've just bought, not yet received, my first Mini Moke. I'm new to Moke's although been talking about getting one for the past 20 years.
Ive been driving and fixing mini's since my first car in 1997 - a 78 leyland mini 1000, so familiar with the family.
I still have a running/restored 1994 Rover Cooper in my garage and a project 1994 SPI Cooper underway.
Currently living between the UK (N.Yorks), Italy (Liguria) and France (Alpes Maritime) (due to work reasons) and picked this Moke in Torino.

My current plan is to restore it to as close as original as possible.

I've already spoken with a couple of members on the facebook group, which has proven helpful. Books have been ordered and my shopping list if ever growing!

I'm looking forward to sifting through the forums and learning more about these little cars.

Membership has been paid to the club, and already found some interesting parts in the shop!

Thanks for having me and I look forward to future chats.

I'll keep a log of any progress in this thread - delivery expected in the next 2 weeks.

All the best.

Jonathan
IMG_0228.jpeg
IMG_0208.jpeg
IMG_0209.jpeg
IMG_0216.jpeg
IMG_0219.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: 1979 Leyland Aussie (Italian) California build thread.

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Welcome aboard. :D
Come on summer
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Looks like a great starting point. You will do fine with the moke. Welcome aboard.
Live Laugh Moke
MLPoke

Post by MLPoke »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 19:24 Welcome aboard. :D
Willie_B wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:04 Looks like a great starting point. You will do fine with the moke. Welcome aboard.
Thanks for the welcome.

Im still yet to get my hands on it. It seems like a great base for a promising project indeed.
The underside seems a bit of a mystery. At some point someone has covered it with either a very thick paint or even fibreglass, and there are what seems to be the back side of rivets poking out - Im hoping for the best but not too worried about about a floor replacement if needed....although it would be great if it can be avoided!

I'd be interested to know if the underside looks "normal" in anyones opinion - are there such things as "over sills" in the Moke world??

Im sure all will become apparent once I receive it and get it stripped down.
IMG_0213.jpeg
IMG_0200.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Jonathan, the Moke looks like a great starting point. I think it might be a year or two earlier than '79.

In the photo below the plate covers the underside of the fuel tank in the side pannier, the smooth bit of floor in front of it shouldn't be smooth like that, it should also have ridges pressed into it, like the plate.

Also, the floors apear to be flat too in the driver's and passengers footwells. They should also have pressed swages. There's not really such a thing as oversills with a Moke, usually its just flat sheet metal welded over the top. My own Moke looks a lot like yours. Its not desirable, but if its done to a reasonable standard it should be OK. Eventually I will replace all of the flat sheetmetal in mine with properly swaged floors.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
MLPoke

Post by MLPoke »

Tim wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:01 Hi Jonathan, the Moke looks like a great starting point. I think it might be a year or two earlier than '79.

In the photo below the plate covers the underside of the fuel tank in the side pannier, the smooth bit of floor in front of it shouldn't be smooth like that, it should also have ridges pressed into it, like the plate.

Also, the floors apear to be flat too in the driver's and passengers footwells. They should also have pressed swages. There's not really such a thing as oversills with a Moke, usually its just flat sheet metal welded over the top. My own Moke looks a lot like yours. Its not desirable, but if its done to a reasonable standard it should be OK. Eventually I will replace all of the flat sheetmetal in mine with properly swaged floors.

Tim
Cheers Tim. Yeah seems like I’ll need a floor replacement!

Still waiting for it being delivered! Patiently.......😅
MLPoke

Post by MLPoke »

My 79 Moke is finally with me and joins a 95 Cooper project in my garage.

I've started the strip down and searching for seemingly rare parts! mini spares Oz has a delivery coming to me as does Moke Panels in the UK...

Seems like someones done a diy wiring loom at some point.

The forum is proving a great resource of info.

Books from Roy Scott (Just Restoration), The Ultimate Portfolio and Moke Service and repair Manual have arrived.

No photos as the pixel size is too big for the forums rules....

Cheers

Jonathan
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

MLPoke wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 16:21

Cheers

Jonathan
Can I ask how big the image is that you are trying to upload?
Thanks,
Dean
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 0:14
MLPoke wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 16:21

Cheers

Jonathan
Can I ask how big the image is that you are trying to upload?
Thanks,
Dean
Update on the upload problem: I have discovered a misconfigured file from a recent update. It's been fixed now so please try your photo uploads again.
Cheers,
Dean
MLPoke

Post by MLPoke »

Thanks Dean.

I’ll have a go when back at my computer.

Regards.

Jonathan.

Return to “Project "M"”