The last Moke

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

The last Moke

Post by Doug G »

I had the misfortune to go into a business starting with 12 Chokes.

Partner and I parted company, long story but not my fault.

Rather than winding up the company and neither getting anything I walked away with six.

Just sold the last one.

Explained all issues. Rust on one side beam, rusted bottom edge of windscreen frame.
Plus fuel pump did not work, that was a rundown battery (replaced) and a loose connection, and the lights did not work (loose connection and corrosion).

Unfortunately the radiator overflow container burst . .. two days after he bought it. :cry:
Trying to get a replacement for him. I think we have sourced one.

Sold it for US$5,370.00 with 38 kilometers on the clock. Yes no typo. :o

All in all, with the up front cash, and other expenses along the way, I 'only' lost US$6,000.00 on the seven year venture.
It was a very frustrating episode my life.

However it is over and I can finally move forward. :D

Post script : There were a LOT of rust stains on the choke (a white one).
This was removed by the liberal application of Lysol toilet cleaner with bleach.
Then washed off with fresh water.
The choke look too much better now.
I should have cleaned it up first and gloss shined the tires, vinyl seats and roof canopy and asked a higher price. :lol: Oh well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: The last Moke

Post by Doug G »

The transmission is over 5 years old with only less than 38miles (yes 38 miles) on the milometer.

Unfortunately after only a few more miles the transmission is giving serious trouble.

A new transmission for the Chinese Chery engine from China is around US$1,500.00 first cost.

Add freight and insurance and then apply 59% to all the parts and the cost plus labour becomes eye watering, especially as I sold it for +/-US$5,250.00.
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Re: The last Moke

Post by Tim »

Time to make a decision about scrapping it, or perhaps a transplant. I have no idea what you'd swap into it though. Something not made as cheaply as possible in China I would suggest.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Moke Talk”