Engine Stabaliser Bushes

johng
MMC Member

Engine Stabaliser Bushes

Post by johng »

I need to change the bushes on the stabiliser bar from rear bulhead to the block. Is this a fairly easy job or do I need 100 ton press ? LOL
Tim

Re: Engine Stabaliser Bushes

Post by Tim »

The bushes themselves are easy, they are split, so half pushes in from either side with no more than thumb pressure required. The hassle is at the firewall end. On early models, instead of a bolt through the middle of it, they used a stud that is essentially trapped between the base plate of the master cylinders and the bracket on the firewall. You can't get the stupid stud out unless you remove the master cylinders. On later models its just a bolt.

The other issue relates to the quality of rubber components these days. I'm told that the rubbish rubber that the bushes are made out of now fails very quickly , especially if exposed to oil. I recently replaced mine. I'm not a big fan of poly bushes, but I used them in this case, pretty purple road-spec ones.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I’d agree with this. Poly bushes are probably best and you’ll have a nut and bolt holding yours John. Once the old ones are out just pull out the metal liner and slide it in the new ones. The only problem I’ve had occasionally is that the new bushes seem to be a little too long and are a struggle to get in at the bulkhead end of the steady bar.
Come on summer
johng
MMC Member

Post by johng »

Thanks for your advice. I have ordered Poly bushes so hopefully they will last a while

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”