Fasteners

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Fasteners

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

My moke has the Perspex side screens that are held onto the windscreen frame with threaded fasteners and dome headed nuts. Over time some of them have become, shall we say, less than good so I need some more. The problem is what are they called? Where should I be looking for them? They have a base pretty much the same as a lift-the-dot fastener but with an M5ish thread sticking out of them. I’ve been looking all over but with no success.
Come on summer
Tim

Re: Fasteners

Post by Tim »

Hi Nigel, I researched this a few years back, and I couldn't find them at all. Even though they look like they should have been made by the same people that made the lift-the-dots, I searched both manufacturers who claimed to be the official original owner of the lift the dot name and couldn't find anything that looked close.

I intended to make my own, by using a die to cut a thread onto a modified double length L-T-D post. The standard posts are about the right diameter and they are usually only plated brass so they would be fairly forgiving. I went as far as buying the tools and the posts and a set of nuts to go on them, but somehow I completely mis-measured the posts, convinced myself that they were 2BA threads and bought all the wrong sizes. In the end I managed to scrounge up enough used ones and made do with what I had.

I happen to have some on my desk at home (along with calipers,thread gauges and some m5 Acorn nuts) so I'll have another go at accurately measuring them. The trick is that there are a few different thread forms about the same size. It would be unusual for BMC Australia to use metric threads, but I have a feeling that's what they are. I've also seen the nuts listed as 3/16 UNF (technically 10-32) which sounds possible and is only a tiny bit smaller than m5

And if you don't want to make them yourself, these guys will make them for you. https://www.minimakeovers1275.com.au/pr ... d-fastener

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I’d not really considered re-engineering LTD fasteners, but you’re right, it’s eminently do-able. I wonder if M6 countersunk screws would work? I say metric as they are readily available from screwfix etc in stainless steel and as I’d be willing to do without the dome nuts it’s probably worth a go.
I’d spotted the ones you mention but the distance and the sheer cost of them put me off a bit. I’ve also seen these

https://www.part-on.co.uk/product/m5-st ... yYQAvD_BwE

The only thing that concerns me is the 12mm protrusion at the rear and would it clear the ‘screen glass.
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

M6 would work, it's about the size of the standard ltd posts. I've just measured, the proper ones are definitely 10-32, not m5. The standard ltd posts are 1/4", so they might need to be turned down (I'd do it in a drill with a fine file.

M5 is a tiny bit bigger than 10-32. An m5 nut will go onto one of these fasteners, but the dome nuts don't go onto an m5 bolt.

I don't think those studs would be compatible with fitting glass to the window frame - which is kind of the point.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Shaun78

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi,I have started to look for some of those fixings,i have been searching for stud plate,some look quite close,also some munsen ring bases look like they could be adapted.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Yep. Those are a version of the thing we’re talking about.
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Over the weekend I decided that the proper way to make these would be to have the sheet metal bases laser cut in stainless steel and the holes countersunk. Then use a stud welder to weld the correct sized stainless stud into the centre of each plate.

The plates would cost a few dollars to get cut and the studs are comparatively cheap. Unfortunately, the cheapest stud welder I can find starts at around AUD2750.

Converting to pounds, I can offer really high quality, stainless steel fasteners with a matching stainless acorn nut to you at £150 per piece (as long as you order a full set to do one car). I could do them cheaper if you wanted more.

cheers
Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Then all I have to do is buy more mokes to fit them to…………..and more boats to keep then in :o
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

There are worse things...
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

It’s bad enough with two of them. I don’t fancy becoming an admiral
Come on summer
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Someone just mentioned on fb that Runamoke have them.
Dean
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I’ve not seen any listed on their site…….and have you tried getting hold of anyone there recently?
Come on summer
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:09 I’ve not seen any listed on their site…….and have you tried getting hold of anyone there recently?
Nope but this was posted today.

Screenshot_20230818_103229_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin108

Fasteners

Post by Martin108 »

Ron Smith at Run a Moke supplied these fixings to me last week. I sent him a email and had these delivered within a week.

IMG_1162.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Moke Talk”