The way forward.

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

The way forward.

Post by Doug G »

I have a Mini Moke - Right Hand Drive, Australian model, (circa) 1973, with a 998cc engine.

Which manual (Haynes or other) do you have that would cover working on the engine, gearbox and clutch?

Hard copy and/ or digital.

As I am unable find somebody 'competent' here to fix the engine, clutch and gearbox.

I plan to remove engine complete with gearbox place on work bench and (while watching a LOT of Youtube videos ) work on it myself.

Even if I have to completely dismantle and re-build it.

WHY?

BECAUSE :

I had a 'mechanic' here try and fix

Fault to be remedied : The Mini Moke was having difficulty going into first gear, or any gear.

This 'mechanic' said he could fix it. Give him his due, he had rewired the Mini Moke relatively quickly and things seems to work.

So OK lets do it.

In the last seven(7) months he has replaced :

Clutch Slave Cylinder - pre verto type - Quantity 1

GEG401Cork Rocker Cover Gasket - Quantity 1

Top Engine Steady Polyurethane Bush kit - Black - Quantity 2

Ball Joint Kit - 1959-2001 - Quantity 2

Standard Tie Rod inc bushes each - Quantity 2

CV Joint Outer Quantity two(2)

Engine Mounting Mini 1959-01 Quantity two(2)

A bottom engine mount Quantity (1)

A transmission mount Quantity (1)

The carburettor has been 'replaced'. Leaking fuel. Was not leaking fuel when he received it.

A new electric fuel pump has been put in.

These were not requested although he said they needed doing.

After saying that the Mini Moke was ready to be returned to me today, after some seven(7) months, this morning he announces that he finds that 'the Mini Moke is having difficulty going into first gear, or any gear.'

PLEASE SEE SECOND LINE OF THIS THREAD for fault to be remedied.

I have had three individuals bring out the parts (by air) requested by him and even had one set of parts shipped by FedEx.

His bill is US$1,390.00 (labour only), but on a voice mail today says give him half.

The very thing that was supposed to be addressed is still not done. 🤬🤬🤬

And he is now proposing (in a voice mail) that the entire clutch now be replaced.

After a year bl00dy months I have the vehicle and out of this individual's (am being polite) possession.

This is the carp that he did instead of fixing it, (my comments in brackets)

Remove clutch slave cylinder to gain access to clutch cover [?]
Remove and reinstall starter [?]
Remove cover, disc and pressure plate to replace flywheel nut [?]
Remove radiator to replace front lower motor mount [is this necessary to do that?]
Remove and replace thermostat housing. [Could just have undone radiator hose. There was no leak at thermostat]
Tap threads into cylinder head to accommodate thermostat housing.[Could just have undone radiator hose. There was no leak at thermostat]
Replace top front motor mount
Remove lower right brake line to gain access to rear motor mount [is this necessary to do that?]
Replace bottom rear motor mount
Remove complete hub assembly on tight and left side of suspension to replace both axles [Hope originals are returned]

Replace both top and bottom ball joints on both sides
Remove tie rod ends install new rack and pinion boots
Remove and replace faulty ignition switch [ was working when handed over]
Remove and replace faulty ignition coil [ was working when handed over]
Remove and replace electric ignition module [ was working when handed over]
Remove valve cover and adjust valves [ was working when handed over who screwed them up?]
Replace valve cover [ was working when handed over who screwed them up?]
Replace valve cover gasket [ was working when handed over who screwed them up?]
Bleed brake and clutch

How cold is it in UK ?

Anyone want airfare paid and free lodgings and (after it is working) all the rum you can drink in 5 days?
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: The way forward.

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It’s an unfortunate time to ask Doug…..the weather is just starting to turn, in fact I’ve been sat here not needing to run the engine for four days now and still have full batteries, it’s the run up to summer here in the UK and we’ll have long days and warm rain.
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I would suggest the ‘69 to ‘81 Haynes manual. Here’s the eBay number for one that’s up at the moment, so that you know which edition you’re looking for.
Come on summer
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

I like Cole's videos on Youtube. You may have to go back some to find his engine and transmission videos.
https://www.youtube.com/@classicminidiy
Live Laugh Moke
Tim

Post by Tim »

The best manual is the 'comprehensive' one with the Australian Supplement. Its appearance changes, there's a black version, an orange one and occasionally a dark teal blue one.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Workshop-Offi ... 1855201615

I also like the Gregory's one, which used to be called Mini and Moke, and is now called Mini Moke. it has reasonable wiring diagrams, which are often pretty poor in the Haynes manuals which focus on UK models.

https://minisport.com.au/collections/bo ... 1971-1978
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

The “Official Workshop Manual” in orange is available in the club shop but the problem may be with that one is that it invariably says “To remove the bolt use tool No ABC123”. With the aftermarket manuals it’ll more likely be “use a 3/4” spanner and medium size hammer” both of which are more likely available to the average tinkerer.
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Thanks Nigel.

I have been very depressed with situation about my Mini Moke.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

If you’d have asked the question two or three months ago I’d probably have been able to make it, that is, if I could find somewhere with room for 100’ of boat. The thing is we’ve now got a very small window of opportunity between the winter closures/flood closures and summer when we have closures because of water shortages so we have to make the most of it.
Come on summer
Shaun78

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi,you say it won't select a gear has the clutch arm been checked the ball on the end wears so the clutch doesn't operate correctly,if this has happened and a replacement is not available somebody with a welder could build the ball up with weld and grind it to shape.worth a look if it's not been checked.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

1st and 3rd gear sprockets in the engine had damage to the teeth and need to be replaced. :o

Return to “Moke Talk”