Roll cage on Mk1 Moke

bjw970s

Roll cage on Mk1 Moke

Post by bjw970s »

Looking at fitting a roll cage to my mk1 Moke.

If anyone has done this to theirs, I would welcome some pictures and recommendations.

Thanks

Brian
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Roll cage on Mk1 Moke

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I had one on mine a while ago.
Pro’s; You can have three point inertia reel seatbelts (if you can find one with the mountings)
Cons; Makes it difficult to get in the rear seats
The hood doesn’t sit flat when folded down
You’ll need to remove the tank to fit it.
Come on summer
bjw970s

Post by bjw970s »

Fair points Nigel - do you have any pics
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

‘Frad not, it was a long time ago that I removed mine. It was a Safety Devices one, with the bent leg, pointless if you ever decided to park upside down but pretty handy for the seatbelt mountings.
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

I don't have a Mk1 but I do have a roll bar that would fit one. Mine came on the first Moke I bought and since then has been crash tested and some small modifications made to fit it to the current Moke. I reckon mine was home made. It was pretty agricultural originally but I tidied it up with new mounting feet and had it re-welded. Mine doesn't have mountings for inertia reel belts. I have them mounted using the factory mounting points, but with some wedge shaped boxes behind them to allow them to be mounted vertically (rather than on the slope of the inside walls).

I mostly agree with Nigel about the pros and cons, but mine are slightly different. I can fold my roof fully down .

Pros: Lap sash seatbelts will save your life in a head-on crash (ask me how I know).
Cons: Makes it hard to get in the back.
Kind of ruins the low "bottom half of a normal car" look.

Sorry this is the only easily linked photo of it that I can find.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Bodyshell”