Towbars

stevie

Towbars

Post by stevie »

Hi all, i am looking into fitting a towbar to my 68 Morris Mk2 to pull a small trailer for attending the clubs camping events.

Has anybody else bought one ready made and fitted from a garage workshop in the UK or is fabricating one myself from Roy Scott's book the best way to go.

Stevie
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The nearest I've seen to finding one "off the shelf" is one that was advertised on eBay a few months back - It went for silly money. So if you think you are up to the task perhaps making your own is the best option ..... although if you can source an Australian back bumper they come with all the fittings
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:So if you think you are up to the task perhaps making your own is the best option ..... although if you can source an Australian back bumper they come with all the fittings
This is what I have on mine (I have renovated and revampoed it since this pic was taken) :wink: .

You can bolt on a ball hitch very easily.

http://mokeclub.org/cpg148/displayimage.php?pos=-413
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug G wrote:
Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:So if you think you are up to the task perhaps making your own is the best option ..... although if you can source an Australian back bumper they come with all the fittings
This is what I have on mine (I have renovated and revampoed it since this pic was taken) :wink: .

You can bolt on a ball hitch very easily.

http://mokeclub.org/cpg148/displayimage.php?pos=-413
Thats a standard Australian rear bumper, they're reasonably strong. I used to tow a fairly heavy load of firewood with my old one.

The later Californian bar was pretty well just cosmetic. The previous owner of mine partly pulled the bar off towing a small catamaran.

Tim
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

There's a member called Ken James in Daventry who used to make tow bars for the Potuguuse Mokes. I'm not sure if he still does or indeed if they will fit an English Moke but he might be worth a call as he has owned all versions of the Moke in his time and may be able to advise. I can PM his number if you want.
Dean
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I'll put this reply here so's everyone can have a look - There's a bumper/towbar on eBay for you at the moment (No 260076768444)
It's probably the only part worth using :!: :cry:
stevie

Post by stevie »

"A Great Achievement to you when finished"

Crikey i would agree with that, but i guess if you want to restore one you have to start with something.

Somebody somewhere will love it again, but definitely not for the faint hearted.

Aah bless

Return to “Bodyshell”