Which front bumper

janz
MMC Member

Which front bumper

Post by janz »

My front bumper / Roo bar was custom made and Heath Robinsoned onto our Moke by the previous owner. And admirable effort, but I'm quite keen to ditch this odd looking affaire and replace it with a more subtle one. Can anyone send me a pic of how their standard Ausie bumber is monted to the car? What parts apart from the bumper itself are required? Anyone got a spare bumber they want to sell? May even put an English one.

Thanks for any advice

Anyone tell me how to make the picture any bigger would be good too :?

JanZ
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Tim

Re: Which front bumper

Post by Tim »

Janz, sorry I don't have a picture of how its mounted, but it depends on what year the body shell came from. Pre 1980(ish) the bumpers mounted through the front panel and bolted to the subframe from inside the engine bay. After 1980 they were mounted underneath the subframes and curve up from under the front panel. If you have the correct subframe, then the bumpers will bolt straight on. The earlier style subframe has mounting brackets welded to it in the front corners that Mini subframes don't have. I assume that the later ones have captive bolts or something similar to mount the underslung bumpers.

In Australia the Chinese reproduction bumpers seem to get a good report, although I haven't looked at one closely. They are of the later underslung type and in the Californian style (like in my avatar). The base model Aussies just had a straight bar, as seen in the photo I posted in the "seen near Rotherham" thread.

Tim
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Tim - thanks for your post. I think this is going to prove a complicated affaire. As I've mentioned in another post - my Moke is a bit of a hybrid. I believe it to be a post 1980 Australian shell due to the recesses on the rear kick-out panels for the square rear lights, no removable cover on the left side panel, cut-outs in the wing edges where wheel arch extensions should be welded, long fuel tank and the side mount fuel filler. The shell is galvanised as well so probably not Portuguese. The shell was found in a CKD workshop at Morris Cowley during the start of closure of the works in early 80s. The Moke was built by an ex manager of the plant in 1984 using tooling from the factory, but using a 1965 Morris Mini as a donor. So either this was a shell returned to UK from Aus after 1981 close as surplus (unlikely) or possibly as a pre-production shell for the Portugal operation when the UK made CKD shells in 1983. I'm still finding out.....

You've probably answered the main question - it has a Mini subframe and probably hasn't got the required mounting brackets welded on. Also have short radius arms (the car that is :D )

I started to reply to your Rotherham post as my Moke is in a way quite similar but that looks like another variant of bumber mounting.

So it's English or early Oz bumper or modify the mounts I currently have and weld a new bumper tube on.

JanZ
JanZ
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Why not take a trip to the national ? You'll see most of the variations there
Come on summer
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

I'm sure I posted that I will be at the National.... I'll be there Nigel :D and look forward to meeting. Was at the IOW event and started to have a good look but there's never enough time. Really helpful and fun crowd! That's why I wanted to go to the National. Would have been to others if not for work and hols :cry:

To be honest, I wanted to make several changes to Moke before the National including the bumper amongst other things. If you have ideas - take a look at my pictures in user galleries.

Cheers,

JanZ
JanZ
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Jan. Do you travel with your job? We live in kenilworth, you are welcome to crawl under the Moke to your hearts content.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

janz wrote: So it's English or early Oz bumper or modify the mounts I currently have and weld a new bumper tube on.

JanZ
It should be the underslung late Oz bumper, which is probably the easiest to fit.

Tim
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

grantourer wrote:Hi Jan. Do you travel with your job? We live in kenilworth, you are welcome to crawl under the Moke to your hearts content.
Hi Graham, I do travel, but not as far as Kenilworth - I mainly travel to N, W and Central Africa :lol: (found out today that one of my guys had to cancel and I will have to to Tasiast gold mine in Mauritania at some time in August :x not good) No joking apart - that's really kind of you. I do fly out of Birmingham from time to time so could drop by on return. It probably will not be before National though so I will see you oop Nawth
Tim wrote: It should be the underslung late Oz bumper, which is probably the easiest to fit.
Tim
I misread your last post Tim - it's the early Oz that has the brackets on the subframe if I read correctly - if that's the case, I may just get one and doctor a way to fit it... if not - it will be the weird roobar at the National - worse things have happened :D

JanZ
JanZ
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

The later front underslung bumper is bolted to mountings that are welded to the subframe. These mountings are not found on earlier Mokes or any Mini. Mini King (John Smidt) occasionally sells the mountings via eBay.
Dean
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Dean wrote:The later front underslung bumper is bolted to mountings that are welded to the subframe. These mountings are not found on earlier Mokes or any Mini. Mini King (John Smidt) occasionally sells the mountings via eBay.
Dean
Thanks for the info Dean - I'll keep an eye out for them. Are they the same as 'Front bumper sub frame support bracket' p/n BYK 5186? I think M-Parts have those - or at least they're on the drawings they show.

I spoke to a welder / painter today and showed him the current set up, he said he'd be tempted to adapt the current mounting and weld a suitable diameter tube on. Well, we have plenty of time - At the moment, I'm going to enjoy the couple of rainless hours we have (hey - I didn't say sunshine :D ). The Mokes been attracting smiles in our 'blot on the landscape'

JanZ
JanZ
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

janz wrote:
Dean wrote:The later front underslung bumper is bolted to mountings that are welded to the subframe. These mountings are not found on earlier Mokes or any Mini. Mini King (John Smidt) occasionally sells the mountings via eBay.
Dean
Are they the same as 'Front bumper sub frame support bracket' p/n BYK 5186? I think M-Parts have those - or at least they're on the drawings they show.
yeah, that's the ones.
Dean
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Thanks for the info Dean - will check availability of the brackets.

Cheers,

JanZ
JanZ

Return to “Bodyshell”